Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well its been raining lately and i've been finding a prob with my windshield wipers, like they will go fine the first time but then when the wipers try and go to the second time and they stall and stick. then when they get back down and i wait a few extra seconds they work fine. but everytime i try and just let them go for more than one wipe then they stick. what do you think? would it be the motor? or what? and where and how can i get to the motor?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Sounds like a wiper motor problem.

If needed I have a wiper motor, wipe frame mount, and passenger side underdash arm assembly (left one was used for parts).

·
Registered
269 Posts
Installation of the motor is fairly simple.

I remove the instrument cluster completely (unplugging speedo, and harnesses). Disconnect the wiper motor wiring and good practice would be to disconnect the battery positive terminal to make sure everything is dead but I like to listen to the radio while I work :)

Once cluster is out of the way I disconnect the defrost hoses. Now you should have wide-open access to the motor. As long as the under dash arm and cams are ok you would only need to disconnect them and unbolt the wiper motor. Both arms connect to a single shaft on the motor and are held on by a snap clip, pop the clip and slide the arms off the shaft. Unbolt the four bolts that hold the Wiper mount to the frame and the whole thing comes straight out, bolt in the replacement motor and work in reverse.

The first time it took me about 1.5 hours, probably do it in 45-60 mins now.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts