Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the chance of a buying a junker Cougar (rare opportunity in the UK) for parts. I haven't seen the car yet.

It has been advertised as a '69 (the year of my car) but over here you can never be too sure that American cars have been correctly identified for year of manufacture.

I am mainly interested in the windscreen/windshield as mine has a stone chip.

I am sure that Cougar windscreens are not interchangeable over the different years of manufacture (e.g. a '67 will not fit a '69 etc).

I just need someone to agree with me please so I know for sure that when I see it and if it isn't a '69, I can walk away knowing for definite that the windscreen will not fit my car.

Cheers

Chris

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Chris,
69& 70 are the same and as you thought 67/68 are defferent and will not work in the other. Or at least that is what the shop that I use tells me. Neal.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Free International TCCN Subscription

Chris...

Welcome to the wonderful world of classic Cougars! I wanted to let you know that, as an overseas Cougar enthusiast, you are entitled to a free subscription to The Classic Cougar Network web site.

The TCCN site contains an on-line classic Cougar encyclopedia (EnCATa) that will help answer many of your questions about the car. It also includes a large monthly on-line magazine with tech tips, historical articles and features on classic Cats and their owners (including some in the UK). All in all, TCCN contains nearly a million bytes of classic Cougar information!

To obtain a free international subscription, direct your browser to http://www.theclassiccougarnetwork.com and click the "Subscribe" button. Then follow the links for International Subscribers. Our only requirements for a free subscription are that your e-mail address contains the two letter country designatior (in your case, "uk") and that you own a classic Cat. Since you've shown that you are sincerely interested in Cougars by joining these forums, we'll wave the second requirement.

Keep on Cattin'!

Steve

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Mustang windshield may work as long as its from a coupe, not a fastback, right? Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I know for sure the A piller trime from a fastback will not fit my car, I tried it. That makes me think that a coupe and fastback windshields are different.mm

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Fastback windshields and pillar trims are different than coupe and convertable which are the same, at least as far as the windscreen goes obviously the convertable pillar pad trims are different. Catzyalater

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice so far but now I'm a bit confused.

I have previously posted a question on which Mustang windscreen will fit.

From the replies I had at the time it looked like that any 69 Mustang 'screen would do the job.

I do have the outside chance of 69 Mustang 'screen but it is in a Fastback.

Do I go for it or not?

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Our friend from Sweden is the one to confuse you I'm afraid. Yes a Mustang coupe is the same, NO a Mustang fastback is not the same. Thanks to Ray for confirming my thoughts. mm

·
Registered
216 Posts
Not to open a brand new can of worms here, but windshields for the cougar/mustang are common at the glass shops here in the US, perhaps you could avoid having to purchase/dispose of an entire car by having one sent to you from a distributor here in the Colonies. My local glass shop, Timmerman Glass (319) 236 0649 has one for my 68, with the new gasket, in stock at all times. I suspect she would have one for a 69/70. It seems like the windshield was $125 US to buy, not installed. It seemed no different in price than any other run of the mill windshield.

By the way, I was born in Kingston On Thames.

Ron.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Sorry Chris ,It was not ment to confuse anybody. I just read that about mustang windshield in " FORD interchangemanual 1995 "
It says that 69 cougar uses the same windshield as 69 Mustang all bodystyles except fastback . It allso says that Mustang and Cougar 70 may fit 69
I hope you fix it

:(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't worry, it doesn't take much to confuse me.

I have now had a look at the car and while the 'screen would be useable it is still in the car with the problems of getting it out in one piece that this entails. It also has some damage but not as bad as my existing 'screen. Trouble is, there is little else on the car that would be much use as I got a shed load of spares with the car when I bought it.

It's a shame as the bloke selling it only wants £200.00 for it (about $260.00) as a rolling shell (the engine & box have been donated to another project he has on the go).

New 'screens are available over here but I'm looking at £266.00 (nearly $400.00) for one delivered and then I have sort out getting it fitted.

The hunt continues!

Cheers

Chris

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
If there is any damage to a windscreen its hifghly unlikely you will be able to get the glass out w/o breakage. Keep looking for a 69/70 Cougar or Mustang coupe that you can get glass from. Good luck,Catzyalater

1 - 13 of 13 Posts