Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

Just wondering if anyone could give me any advice/direction on a rust repair my cougar needs. It is between the rear window and the leading edge of the trunk, at the drivers side corner. It is a hole about 3 inches across.

Would it be easier to fabricate a patch panel or purchase a used piece and section it in. I do have access to a very talented body man, so either or any option can be considered.

If it makes a difference in choosing an option, my cougar has a dealer installed vinyl top that I dont think I will be replacing (at least for now).

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Vinyl tops do nothing but rust out your roof... The roof on my 69 XR7 required EXTENSIVE, and EXPENSIVE repairs... I'm certainly leaving it off on mine.

For that area, you can easily slap a new piece of sheet metal from almost any source and weld her in there, or take the easy route and slap a fiberglass mat across the hole, that works too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Logan,

Thanks for the reply. I agree about the issues with the vinyl top. Not sure if that was the cause in my situation but most likely contributed. It looks like water got under the window trim, under the window and just sat there. Perhaps the vinly top helped it stay there.

My top was dealer installed, so I am hoping that the factory paint job has helped to keep the roof sealed. Also, it was stored under a car port most of its life, so hopefully that helped also. If not, I may have the perfect parts car to restore my next cougar, because I dont think it will be worth replacing the entire roof for if it is real bad - but I dont think it is.

I am not sure if I am going to replace the top either. Not sure if it will help or hurt the value of the car since it was not original from the factory. Also, I dont have any dealer documentation showing that it was installed there.

Anyway, sounds like it wont be too bad of a fix. Guess I will just have to take the top off and see what I have.

Thanks,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts