Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to swap out our 69 doors with glued in windows for 70 doors and screwed in windows. I know I could have used the 69 door shells, but they were too rusted. I also wanted to swap out the electric windows for crank-up windows. I want reliability, though the electric system worked.
Anyway, got the passenger door in, swapped out the passenger quarter window (69 quarter windows are too large), then spent about two hours trying to align the door window and quarter window with no luck. The top overlaps the quarter window more than the bottom part. I do have to put new hinges in (should have checked that out when the door was off), but that shouldn't do too much in realigning the windows. After a couple of days of driving the car, I have to push the quarter window back a little because a gap has started where it meets the roof. Any suggestions?
I have seen other 69 and 70 Cats with the same problem and wonder if it may be something I have to live with.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Its been awhile and I remember what a pain in the ass they were to get right, but I think you need to adjust the stop bracket on the back of the quarter window. That is what the window bracket bumps up against when you roll it all the way up. If its set up to high it lets the top of the glass tip foreward and vice versa. If you only spent 2 hours on it you gave up too soon. mm

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
2 hours?? ive done it in 20 minutes. its easy, loosen the bolts on the regulator.. pull the window up where you want it, and tighten the bolts. it helps if you have a second person there. it works. hell, i did it on mine when the glue failed on them. the 1/4 window was the same way. the back of my passengers window used to hit the drip rail, i have a dent there from where it used to hit too. but now its fine.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Time????

Now it looks like the amount of time can be up for discussion. I had to do everything myself. My wife helped me for one thing, but when I work on something, the last thing I need is someone around constantly asking questions (can you guess who that may be?). One thing I did notice was that I had the quarter window in snug, but after a few days, there was some slippage. Maybe body movement did something. Anyway, I'll look at the window stops again. I think that is one of the problems and I didn't have them tight enough.
Have to say that the windows on the 69 doors did not match to the quarter windows either, but they were way off. At least the 70 windows overlay each other and stop the wind noise.
I'll let you know how everything works out. Like my 68 windows better.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
sixt9, you didnt do all 4 windows in 20 minutes now did you? When you switch to 70 glass you have to change all four and your starting from scratch, no factory settings to go off of. To get them perfect it takes alot of adjusting or else you end up in a wind tunnel. Hell alot of them leaked air when they were new, and they all did after they were a year or so old. Thats why
Ford had to put out special service bulletins and manuals on them. O, I forgot you west coast guys never have to roll up your windows! mm

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
well, ok ok, it helped that the interior wasnt in the car when i did it. but yeah, it wasnt all that hard to do. the 1/4 windows were the harder part, i hate having to get my hands in there to move the damn regulator around.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally

First of all, I'm in beautiful southern Maryland (that's on the right side of the country). We do roll up the windows in the winter but do keep them down in the humid summer. To answer one item, I did the passenger side first. I was told I can do each side in one day per side, but that does not involve cold weather and disconneting the electrical window wiring. That, in itself took the better part of a morning since I don't want to destroy something I can sell later. So each side took a day and a half.
I found out that I forgot the forward window stop on the door. When I put that in and massaged the front and rear window together, it took about 20-30 minutes to get it to the point that the door window now overlaps the rear window but evenly top to bottom. I also had to adjust the window tracks (the two bars that the window slide up and down on) to move the door window side to side. While I still have the overlap, there is no whistling sound of air coming out of that side now. Hopefully, rebuilding the hinges will help a little.
By the way, what service bulletins and manuals?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Jmonfort, Ford had a book out on eliminating wind noise, it was put out many many years ago. They got tired of all the warranty repairs for customers complaing of wind noise. I dont know where you would find one now. Maybe a long time ford dealer would still have one laying around. It sounds like you did it right, if they fit up straight and dont leak alot of air. Someone always has a better answer though dont they? You hit it right on the head about forgetting the front stops as for every adustment on one thing will require adjustments on everything else most the time. I think you will find the effort worth the trouble though as you dont have to worry about the door glass coming unglued anymore. Did you replace the quarter glass to front door rubber? I had a hard time finding replacements for mine, but AutoKrafters finally come up with some. If it was me I would make sure to rebuild the door hindges before I put the door panels back on as you may need to reajust the windows after the door is back in the right place.mm

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Driver's door better

I did the driver's door today. The hinges are good, just the bushings went bad. I replaced them and when I put the door on, it aligned with everything like a charm. The quarter windows had very good rubber on them so I didn't have to swap them out. eventually, probably this summer, I'll have to change the door weatherstripping.
The quarter window went in easier too, but I learned from the last one and I had a little luck in that all three guides went in the first try.
Everything lined up on the left side, though I'll do a little peeking and tweeking this week. Anyway, thanks for the help. I'll have to look for that book, maybe at Carlisle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts