Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford f150 factory limited slip posi 9.75 differential....found one cheap, can it be done?

Dr Frankenstein is at it again....bbbbwwwwaaaaaahhhh!!!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Anything can be done. Question is it worth how much would have to be done in order to do it. In cases like these the answer is invariably that too much would be required. The wheelbase is very likely too wide and this alone would make it too much. The leaf spring perches would be all wrong as well. Better to get a 9-inch and put posi and gears of your choice in it.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Nope. Not even close.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not necessarily talking about the whole rear end, just the pois locker itself, the small unit. Is there any other cars I can get them out of for my 8 inch?

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Can't use the guts. It's a completely different rear assembly using altogether different retention of the diff assembly as well as different sized parts.

There's a pretty short long list of cars that the 8 inch came in back in the day, and cars that came with limited slip diffs too. It's getting to be a rare part.

Look for a 9 inch Ford or a Dana 44 axle.

·
Registered
735 Posts
You can get a Trac Lock for your stock housing. In fact your 8" diff is stronger than you think. It will handle 400+ HP no sweat. The reason they were not so popular was because of gear ratio choices were limited at best. Now there are more ratios to choose from than ever. Swapping in a 9" housing with the correct spring perch width, posi and gear ratio of your choice would cost about the same as an 8" Track Lock. Decisions decisions... :burnout::burnout:

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
8 inch trac lock is definitely the way I want to go, 9 inch is hard to find for cheap and realistically, I'll probably top out at 370hp once I'm done with the engine. No racing really, just a great streetable gears (3.00) I love to zip past slo-pokes haha

·
5,470 Posts
Best bet for 8" TractionLoc is in something like a '70s era Mustang II Cobra II, Maverick Grabber, Comet GT... Anything with a 302, or - believe it or not - my buddy's dad had a V-6 Pinto Wagon that had an 8" TracLoc... Weird things are out there!

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Cruise the swap meets too. There's a lot of junk being dusted off and sold, or sold with dust, by middle aged guys trying to shore up their sagging 401k.
Lots of cool stuff is seeing daylight again.

Buy a chunk you can look at and check out before you plunk your money down. Learn the difference between peg leg and trac lok on sight too.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well I haven't really ever seen what a track lock looks like, so even if I saw one I wouldn't know what I'm looking at. Do they look like the ones on summit racing? The way I've been trying to find one is by spinning the wheels to see if they go in the same direction, but thats tedious at times in the pick a part.

They had a swap meet today in Pomona, CA with great deals, but I couldn't get there because my Cougar rear end is still in transition. I need to find brake line adapter fittings so I can get back rolling (the fitting are different sizes)

·
Registered
735 Posts
This is an example of what a trac loc looks like, this one is for an 8" like yours. Notice the machined surface the bolts go through for the ring gear?? The Hat or top cover has resessed holes where as the open diff has a flat smooth surface for the ring gear bolts to go through. The body of this unit is also deeper for the clutch pack.

This carrier is an open non posi type unit like yours. Notice the bolt holes where the ring gear attaches? That surface is is flat and smooth. Also the body of the unit is not as deep to hold the clutch pack as in the posi unit.

·
5,470 Posts
Thanks for posting those pics for comparison!!! - That should help out a lot of our members looking for Traction-loc units at swap meets and such.

Added 'Rep Power' to you for that!

Edit: The rep power thing seems to have been turned off somewhere along the line. I tried to add to yours but it didn't take...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts