Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was just curious to see if it would work. I don't use the cars enough to warrant the expenditure to get a couple of mpg increase. Because they are so rare down here the price to rebuild will be too high

I'd rather sink the money into a T5

·
Registered
457 Posts
YES a t-5 is awesome, i just got a hold of a few of them today, I got a 1986 W/C v8 unit (265ft lbs) and a 1990 W/C v8 unit (300ft lbs) and a 1999 t-5 specs unknown.
Are t-5's hard to get out there?

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Leon, also any full size Ford (Crown Victoria, Mercury Grand Marquis) through 1991, or even a Mustang/T-bird/Cougar to '93, or a pickup or van through '93 will have an AOD. After that, the trans became electronically controlled AOD-E and finally the 4R70W. Typical SBF bellhousing pattern was used on 5.0L and 5.8L, and also the 4.2L V-6 in trucks/vans. Shift linkage from a car with a floor shifter is needed for your Cougars...

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
As for strength, the stock AOD is good for around 450 lb/ft, and with a hardened inner input shaft, 550lb/ft. The electronically controlled AOD-E and 4R70W use a one-piece shaft and that increases the capability to 700 lb/ft.

My 480hp 393W is fed through a wide-ratio AOD - the wide-ratio internal gearset from a 4R70W in a mechanically controlled AOD...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts