Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!! :D
I was wondering if 1968 Mustang wheel arch trims and rocker panel trims would fit my 1968 Cougar?? The cost of NOS Cougar trim is way to high for me!!
Thanks

Stu - :D

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Don't think so. Although there are many Mustang parts shared by the Cougars, most body panels and trim items will not. They are specific to the body style and of course we know that the Mustang is different and inferior to the Cougar style.
I know the feeling of having to find NOS or used Cougar parts for many things (at higher prices) while the Mustangs enjoy about a 100% reproduction rate. They are reproducing just about everything for the Mystang. Wish we had it so good.
However, when I first started restoring my Cougars many years ago, there was nothing. Now, many people like Vic Yarberry and John Bauman have closed the gap and are reproducing alot more. If the trend continues you may find that the trims you are needing may one day be reproduced. For now, hunt down used or NOS for you wheel well trims and rockers. Luck to you on this ST. Patties day..!!

·
11,000 Posts
The Mustang trim is a little different profile shape and the mounting holes are located differently. But it can and has been installed successfully on 67-68 Cougars. Jimmy Benedetto of the Lone Star Cougar club has it on his '68 XR-7 and it looks great. From 10 feet away you would never know it was not original.

You have to drill a new set of holes. The trim is made from very flimsy aluminum extrusion which can be formed by hand to fit the contour. The Mustang trim covers the original holes so it is not really a problem. The Mustang trim at $70 for a full set is probably the best way to go these days.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Royce, When you say from 10' away you cant tell? Are they the same length and style ,if so how can you tell the difference? This is interesting to me because my cat has factory trims but they are all chipped up and I hat to blow$200 on flimsy wheel trims!
Scott

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Talk to Ray Harwood to restore yours.;)

·
11,000 Posts
The Cougar molding has a rolled lip on the outside while the Mustang trim is a more squared contour. So when you get close you can tell it is a different trim shape. It easily forms to the wheel opening and looks excellent though.

·
Registered
356 Posts
In a way, I'm kind of glad there isn't too much repro stuff for the cougar. My point is that a lot of the repro stuff for mustangs is just "off". I have always been into stangs. You can tell the repro stuff almost immediately. If there is repro stuff out there I might be more tempted to use it on my cat, as I have on my mustang. As as the repro stuff for cougars out there, it is way expensive, to be a bargin. You are better off in most cases getting your stuff straightened and polished, as in the case with wheel well trim.

Ray is one rightous cat, I have recently gotten a pair of 69 cougar handles, and shelby door handles for friend rechromed. I was impressed with quailty. I had mentioned an issue with one handle and Ray send understood my concern and said send the handle back, he understands because he is a cat collector himself.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Camaro Repo parts

There are also enough repo parts to just about build your own Camaro! That's why I work on the Cougar first.:p:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts