Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw these Cragar SS Wheels on Ebay (item#1836469572) and the seller is here in Tampa where I live. They are 15x8 unilug with a 4.50 backspace. Does anyone know if these will fit our 71 Cougar without any problems. If so it looks like a good deal, what do you think?

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
CHEAP WHEELS

I think some body thinks wheels are cheap. New wheels usually run around $800 to $1000 for a set of 4.
Magnum 500's or torque thrust D's or any other nice wheels. If you get them for 300-500 you probably did good..

Of course there is the required mounting, balancing etc. of the tires to add on..:D

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Magnums go for about $525/set of 4 from almost any of the Mustang vendors. You can thank the Mustang guys for the good quality cheap wheels there. I see that they're now producing 16" Magnums, albeit at a higher price of $650/set. You can have the 'classic' look of the Magnums with the performance/handling boost of the 16" tires out there.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Where to buy

Hey Cougrrcj where exactly did you see those 16" Magnum 500s for 650 a set. Just curious because I might put those on my 73 XR7.

·
Registered
329 Posts
wheels

In my neck of the woods N.Y. I can get Cragar SS for $124 Magnums go for $134.95 size 15 x 7. new 70 XR7 ragtop

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I'm with Steelcat, I priced some Cragar SS's locally for like $125-145. Depending on size. mm

·
Registered
600 Posts
hey Gator

I also have a set up on e-bay if ya want to take a look item number 1837680438

there black powder coated and alot cheaper...lol
PLMK

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wheels

So which is it? If I can get them for under $350 that's a bad deal? The seller is here in Tampa where I live so I wouldn't have to pay any shipping charges. I'm hoping that those high shipping charges for wheels will keep the bidding down. Here in Tampa I've seen them new for $145 and that's for 14". I'll check yours out Dave. If anyone else can help hook me up down here in Tampa let me know. Thanks, you guys are awesome!!!

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
LOOKING AT WHEEL TYPES

All right Cougar Fans and Gatorfan, so maybe I was looking at Torque thrust D's or vintage 45's and they do run $800 to a $1000 for a set. However, cragers and Magnum's are alot cheaper.. The bottom line is to make the best deal you can and like the wheels you have. I think they all look nice on a slick "Cougar"> like all or ours.

"CLASSIC MERCURY COUGAR- BUILT TO LEAD, BUILT TO LAST"

67 trans am racer
69 SS driver
69 convertible cruiser:D

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
16" and *gasp* 17" Magnums!

So I was a little off on the Magnum pricing. The last time I checked on 14" and 15", I know they were going for $125ea. I thought I remembered the 16" being just a tad higher, but I guess they're quite a bit more expen$ive.

See the other thread for availability and pricing of Magnums from CJ Pony Parts ( www.cjponyparts.com ). These prices are from their 2002 Catalog. I'm sure the other vendors will try to meet or beat this pricing!

·
Registered
889 Posts
summit

summit racing good prices if the shipping dont kill you Dan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts