Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a '68, it has brand new leaf springs, but the car is a barn find and has the shocks on it that have been on it for at least 30 years. The car sits really low in the back. Replacing the leaf springs helped a lot but its still sitting very low. My question is, would worn out shock absorbers cause the rear end of the car to sit low?

·
Registered
913 Posts
No, the shocks have nothing to do with ride height.

·
Registered
210 Posts
maybe you have the wrong springs in the front? pics would help.

·
Registered
913 Posts
The ride height for a 68 should be 27 to 28 in. to bottom of wheel opening, front and rear with P215/R70/14 tires, this should give you an idea of which end needs work.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
If the shocks have the coil spring wound around them (aka: load levelers) they WILL raise the rearend. Standard shocks... no.

·
Registered
389 Posts
air shocks will fix it hahha thats what mine has right now....circa 1985 hahaha

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I hate the classic look of the sagging rear end cougar. I did air shock in my 1st 67 and this helped, but made the rear super stiff. I now have a one owner '68 and replaced the leaf spring with high performance springs, but it was a 1/2 inch lower. To keep the rake level I wanted i cut the front coil down by one loop. Problem solved.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I also have a '68 that sits low in the rear and is sort of a barn find in that it was restored around 1980 and sat since then only getting about 3K miles. I measured the ride height as Tomcat described and got 26 inches in the front and a little over 24 inches in the rear. I also was thinking that the shocks might have gone out or may not have even been replaced back then so maybe that would be a fix. Sounds like what Tomcat and others are saying that the springs may actually be the culprit. I saw two short term fixes and was wondering if one or the other might be better. One was adding a shackle and the other was called a helper leaf spring. Does anyone have any experience with either one for lifting the rear about 2 inches?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Do not use the longer shackles, if looking for a cheap fix go with the air or coil over shocks, but the bet bet would be new springs.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I just replaced the rear leaf springs in my 73, only raised the rear 1" but looks a ton better. :smoke:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts