Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have KYB GR-2 shocks on the rear of my 68 Cougar. Would like to put an adjustable shock on the rear to be able to change the dampening, not the ride ht. Will a Mustang shock fit. What are my shock choices, non air shock?

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
Re: Mill Mustang rear shocks fit a 68 Cougar?

The Mustang shocks are short for the rear. I have Konis on mine and added 13/4 inch if I remember correctly.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

·
Registered
5,633 Posts

Actually the Cougar shocks should be longer. The Mustang shocks can be made to work but you will need to push the rear end down to get the lower mount through the hole in the spring plate. This is one reason that so many Cougars are a tad low in the back. I don't know of any manufacturer that is making the correct length shock, there also used to be extensions available but I have not seen those recently. Maybe others have found a source for both the extenders and shocks? MU has some great prices, but they are not typically the most accurate at Cougar / Mustang compatibility issues.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

Actually the Cougar shocks should be longer. The Mustang shocks can be made to work but you will need to push the rear end down to get the lower mount through the hole in the spring plate. This is one reason that so many Cougars are a tad low in the back. I don't know of any manufacturer that is making the correct length shock, there also used to be extensions available but I have not seen those recently. Maybe others have found a source for both the extenders and shocks? MU has some great prices, but they are not typically the most accurate at Cougar / Mustang compatibility issues.
Interesting Bill (and sorry for the misinformation/contradicting old wood!). I wish the back of my car were a little lower even WITH Mustang shocks!

·
Registered
367 Posts

Went through an ordeal with my rear shocks, KYB and grab-a-trak shocks were too short! After some measurements KYB hooked me up with a set of GR-2's for a...

Wait for it...

1978 AMC AMX. Dropped right in and are giving me the correct travel for my leaf springs.

·
Registered
166 Posts

Great! Thanks on my behalf!

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts

Ford parts catalog seems to show the same parts for Mustang and Cougar. Have heard that Cougar shocks are supposed to be longer but this is not the case based on the catalog data.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

Ford parts catalog seems to show the same parts for Mustang and Cougar. Have heard that Cougar shocks are supposed to be longer but this is not the case based on the catalog data.
Did you check 67, 68, 69, 70 or just one or two years?

Regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
955 Posts

Went through an ordeal with my rear shocks, KYB and grab-a-trak shocks were too short! After some measurements KYB hooked me up with a set of GR-2's for a...

Wait for it...

1978 AMC AMX. Dropped right in and are giving me the correct travel for my leaf springs.
Bringing this thread up from the dead. I can confirm that rear shocks for a Mustang are too short. My 67 Cougar is a stock ride height and I just went to install my double adjustable VariShocks. With the shock installed I had about 1" of rebound travel, which is definitely not enough.

I looked up the dimensions of the AMC AMX shocks, and they definitely seem like a much better option for the Cougar. I suspect the upper shock mounts are different between a Cougar and a Mustang and this necessitates the need for a longer shock. For anyone that has a Cougar at stock ride height, be careful about running shocks that are too short. Shocks should never bottom out in compression nor in rebound. If they do that on a consistent basis they will be ruined in short order.

I have some shock extenders on order, which is a simple fix.

Mustang shock dimensions:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=502662&cc=1366253&jnid=427&jpid=5

AMC AMX shock dimensions:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=502799&cc=1002777&jnid=499&jpid=3

Andrew

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

Andrew,

The springs are different between mustang and Cougar, length and (I imagine) free arc. I think this is where the shock length difference comes in. I like the AMX shock idea, were you able to find a stock length spec for the Cougar shocks? If yes, please share that. Reason I ask is I might order a pair of the AMX ones, I have (like most people) been running the Mustang shocks (and have had no issues) but wouldn't mind having the correct length shocks. The mustang shocks are not at their limit with the weight of the car on them but I do have to put the car on the ground in order to get the second nut on. Not sure how much length is left before full extension when the car lifts (but I run a 5/8" Stam-bar so probably do not get as much lift as I might otherwise).

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Regards,

Robert

·
Premium Member
955 Posts

Robert,

I have not found the specs for Cougar shocks, but then again, I haven't looked very hard.

I should also add that it is entirely possible that my particular set-up is not exactly stock. Yesterday I learned that the previous owner had the springs modified and had a couple of leafs added. This, combined with the Ansen traction bars could easily account for the added length that I need. As I said in my PM response, the safest thing to do is get the car at ride height and actually measure.

I will post more updates if I get any more solid information.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

Hi Andrew,

Check your PM's, I think we've got a winner with the KYB 344052.

Robert

·
Premium Member
955 Posts

Hi Andrew,

Check your PM's, I think we've got a winner with the KYB 344052.

Robert
Robert,

Given the measurements that you gave me in your PM, I think the 344052 shock is the way to go. However, I can't take credit for this find. In post #6 of this tread, CollinsCougar gave the AMX shock suggestion. I merely posted links to the dimensions.

Maybe you can change the title of this thread so it reads "Will...." instead of "Mill...." LOL

Andrew

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

Robert,

Given the measurements that you gave me in your PM, I think the 344052 shock is the way to go. However, I can't take credit for this find. In post #6 of this tread, CollinsCougar gave the AMX shock suggestion. I merely posted links to the dimensions.

Maybe you can change the title of this thread so it reads "Will...." instead of "Mill...." LOL

Andrew
Regarding the thread title, I am known for being a stickler about such things, it is a conscious effort I make to not correct every little boo-boo I happen upon. If the person who started the thread would like it changed, I would be happy to do so. Otherwise, I am being "zen" about it all. First, the thread has to want to change... :buck:

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

Wait for it...

How did I miss this little gem!? Chad is the man!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

For the record, on my car the at rest measurement shows the 343219 shock is a mere 1.9" from full extension, not good. The 344052 calculations indicate 3.87" up travel available and this equates to a 52% down, 48% up, MUCH closer to where it should be. I'm convinced and have ordered a set as part of Isabel's "continuous improvement program"!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

·
Registered
2,493 Posts

For the record, on my car the at rest measurement shows the 343219 shock is a mere 1.9" from full extension, not good. The 344052 calculations indicate 3.87" up travel available and this equates to a 52% down, 48% up, MUCH closer to where it should be. I'm convinced and have ordered a set as part of Isabel's "continuous improvement program"!

Bob, your supposed to just call me at this point and order the 4 link,,,,,,,

1 - 20 of 32 Posts