Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
still fartin with getting all the tidbits on this 302 worked out. refresher, car is 68, motor is 86 5.0 non roller out of f150. obviously i cant use the stock balancer due to the change 28/50oz so...the 86 didnt have a serpentine belt, had a three groove crank pulley, one pulley being smaller and the outter two being larger...but anyway, can i use this pulley since i cant use the OE 3 bolt pulley on the 4 bolt balancer? just get different length belts? or is the size in diamter going to cause something to run less or more rpms than it should? the stock pulley on that was on the old 302 was grooved the same but all were same diameter, same as the diameter of the "inside" pulley on the 5.0 motor....thoughts?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
wwwwoooooaaaahhhh..... slow down you guys...not everyone at once..... but for the next person in line dying to respond, has anyone ever successfully drilled the OE pulley to match the 4 bolt pattern? ive googled it and on several mustang sites people suggest it all the time in dealing with this imbalance issue but i have never seen a post where someone actually showed it done....just wonderng....

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Barney - you can get an aftermarket balancer that is already pre-derilled and tapped for 3 or 4 bolt pulleys, and has a counterbalance weight that you add/remove to make correct balance for your crank. Can't remember where I got mine - summit or jegs most likely. (Ausie made Pro-Race brand if I remember right)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts