Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
place of a 3.3L 6cylinder. I have an 85 5.0 roller motor and want to know if the motor will bolt up to the 4 speed tranny in the Fairmont. Thanx.

Rick

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Rick, it's a FOX body. Just about anything that fits a stang will fit that...Have fun...

Bruce

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Rick, I missed the rest of your post. I'm not sure the 5.0 will bolt up to that tranny( I don't think so). But I don't think it would last long if it did...

BTW, missed you at chat the other night..

Bruce

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I think you might have the wimpy SROD trans where 4th is an overdriven gear. (?)
If so, chuck it or sell it to some dweeb restoring an eighties stang or capri.
Go 460 with that sucker! NO 514!!!
:devil:

·
Registered
676 Posts
I think you might have the wimpy SROD trans where 4th is an overdriven gear.
Rick, if your tranny is an SROD, its not a bad tranny. I have one in my 68 Mercury pickup behind a 300. Its held up pretty well and I'm not kind to that truck. On a Ford truck list I belong to there is a member with a 460 using an SROD and its still alive a couple years after first getting hit with all that torque. That Fairmont doesn't weigh much more than Todd Bertuzzi and Markus Naslund combined, so unless you plan on dragging the car that tranny will likely hold up for quite a while.

PS - Go Wild!

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this will only be a grocery getter, no (go canucks) torque monster here. The 6 cyl. is not very speedy (go canucks) and Id want to beable to cruize the hoghway without (go canucks) problems, there's alot of hills and canyons around me. I have an 85 5.0 from a Bronco with the fuel injection system, and just might (go canucks) drop that in one year if I keep it.

Thanx

Go Canucks :D :D :D

Rick

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Rick, they have pills for that allergy....god bless you........................lol....jk.....
Where ya been hiden???

Bruce

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ive got alot of crap to deal with. I'll still make an appearance but wont have much to say. :D Thanx

Rick

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Keep fighting and let me know if you need an ear...

Bruce

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
rick. Cant leave it alone eh? lol..
now yer gonna need a dual exhaust system fer it n a pair of headers and leave the tires and rims alone. Put the dumps by the rearend lol.. n that be 1 heck of a sleeper
thanks
pat

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
No, the SROD transmission blows chunks in a hot rod car that will see even a bit of speed shifting.
Here's why.
SROD stands for Single Rail Over Drive. Internal shift rail. One internal shift rail. Years ago I had one of those boxes in an 83 capri (go mercury!) that I was hotrodding while I was building cobras. At Moroso motorsports park, I bent the internal shift rail and wound up with only 3rd gear. Of course, I'm a pretty big/strong guy and I don't shift mercifully. But, there's a reason ford went to the tremec type 5 speed. Multiple linkage connections.
I also had lots of buddies who enhanced their 5 liter cars who have had trouble with their SROD trannies. They suck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts