Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to work each Saturday so my wife finds things to do. This saturday, she is going to an auto auction. She is interested in a 1970 Cutlas SX (455) convertible. Her mama had one when it was new. She says since I am redoing a cougar I could easily redo a cutlas for her!!! I think it would be cool but I sure can;t afford two projects like this at once! I told her if the car looked good to bid on it. Never know what she might get. I can always park it in the barn till I get the cat finished. Might have to work a few extra years though. Either that or have her get a job!!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
When I told my wife that I was thinking about getting another project car, she said fine, as long as I built her a new deck first. I really think that she didn't believe that I would get the deck done so fast. Now she can spend time on her deck while I am in the garage working on my new old 69 XR7!

I'm still trying to convince her that absence makes the heart grow fonder, but she ain't buying it. :evil:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
i went to look @ a67 gt-bigblock car about 4 yrs ago--only cuz it was fe powered---besides i have a major project allready in progress (48 desoto vert/291 cu in desoto hemi/700r4/exploder 8.8 rear/ect) --on the way home i told her it was more work than i needed right now--besides i have the vert to work on----the next morning she called me @ work and said she wanted the cougar---best damn 2 1/2 years i ever spent---we worked together taking it apart/refurbed stuff together/went to swap meets and car shows---she made all the color decisions and fabric choises (except carpet color---i had to promise i'd rip it out if she didn't like it !!) so now she has a great restomod that handles lie a new car / goes like hell / has all the creature comforts of a new car---she does'nt drive it in the rain and uses at least three parking spaces when shopping-- i really enjoyed the time together in my shop with her but i gained a lot of points toward the convertable--not including some really neat tools and another 4 post lift--life is good---if she wants her own car , get on board . or she might find someone who wants to help her and that might cost you a house AND your shop
doctordesoto

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
ancient chineese proverb...... Happy wife = Happy life. Good words to live by!

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I have to work each Saturday so my wife finds things to do. This saturday, she is going to an auto auction. She is interested in a 1970 Cutlas SX (455) convertible. Her mama had one when it was new. She says since I am redoing a cougar I could easily redo a cutlas for her!!! I think it would be cool but I sure can;t afford two projects like this at once! I told her if the car looked good to bid on it. Never know what she might get. I can always park it in the barn till I get the cat finished. Might have to work a few extra years though. Either that or have her get a job!!!
Are you afraid her car will be faster? :)
But seriously, if it's her car, it's her project. It's 2011 and things are equal now, right? Sure, you can and will help, maybe do most of it. But it sounds like she wants you to do it all.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well she is leaving for the auction here in a few minutes. I have to leave for work in an hour. The car is a Cutlas SX convertible with 455 engine! Looks pretty good in the pictures. No idea of the value. Will now tonight if it is parked outside!! If that was all it took to make her happy I would be on easy street. I don't mind though.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Hope you gave her a max price to bid. Otherwise you may be refincing your house! That's a high dollar car.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Well now, if she gets it, it's her baby and she'll need to learn how to care for it. You know...feedings, oil changes, bath time etc......

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well she didn't get the car, said there was over 50 cars there and only about a dozen actually met reserve and were sold. The reserve on the 1970 Cutlas SX was set at 40,000. She only bid up to ten then let it go. Phew, I would have had to refinance!!! Guess it was all redone and only 66 original miles. Ivory intirior 455 engine. Nice but to pricey for right now!

·
Registered
441 Posts
hay harvey if she still wants and olds and need info my friend is a big olds guy he even buys and stripes them i'll give you his number and i'm sure he'll help you out what to look for and let me know

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
SX's are rare rides. Rarer than a 442, but valued less (sound familiar?). They are basically a Cutlass Supreme with all the Supreme amennities and a 442 drivetrain. A true Executive Musclecar.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Hey Harvey; I know a guy in PA that's looking to sell his 74 Hurst/Olds (if he hasn't already - he's been really motivated to sell).

He probably has a good idea on how to get it to you; as a few years ago he sold a '69 Mustang convertible -one of his "Project Cars" for articles in Hemmings and one of the Mustang rags- to somebody in Michigan, or Minnesota.... one of those states buried under snow 1/2 the year.

EDIT: Never mind - he sold it already!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
She is pretty paticular in what she wants, Kinda like me, The only one she is interested in is a 70 convertible. Her mom had one. When I get the cougar done maybe I will start looking for one for her? Till then all my money is going into my cat.

·
Registered
418 Posts
When I got my Cat the wife said that the next one is hers, shes still shopping. I keep trying to steer her to a 69 Vert but shes more partial to the Cutlass & Chevelles. Although I may have sold her on a 32 3 window coupe.
Only time will tell.
She loves working on the car with me so shes more than capable of takeing care of her own when she figures out what she wants. She already has her Licence plate picked out "not his" LOL

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
My wife was VERY patient with me during the last rebuild of my car... 18 months of solid weekends. I promised her I'd build/restore something for her in the near future. Several people have already seen this. But for those who haven't, I finished it almost a year ago in time for her 40th birthday. It's an almost twin of what she drove in high school, only nicer. Hers had white interior. A few misc. parts off her old car made their way onto this one.

Attachments

·
Registered
442 Posts
Harvey, I think it's great that your wife wants to go down the nostalgia car trail with you. Enjoy it. Sal

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
My first muscle convertible was a 72 Cutlass Convertible with a 455 (hence Four-55)..... They are nice cars easy to work on and inexpensive also...They made more Cutlass convertibles than any other convertible, about 150,000 of them in 4 years, they are a dime a dozen cant go to a car show without there being 10-15 of them but that is great for people who want one because of commonality lots to chose from...1968-1972 are all about the same as far as looks just little different hood and taillights so that might expand your looking. The 350 was the stock engine and the 455 is the upgrade. They are almost identicle in the look...The engine is blue in 455 and Gold in a 350 the difference in width is about 1". So just as easy to change plugs. 455 cars bring bigger money, of course, becasue 95% of the time came in a SX or the 442. Which are basically just trim packages. Building a clone car, which is what I did, is not very expensive (unlike an eliminator) and in 71-72 the VIN is no different from a Cutlass to a 442 again it was a trim package by then...You can find a good solid cutlass convertible for around 10-12K a 455 engine for less than 3k rebuilt and you can actually just mount it to the 350 transmission... Good luck and get your wife what she wants thats my motto for all things wife involved...

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am thinking it would be kinda cool to be able to have two cars to take to shows and tours and stuff. I really do need to get the cat at 110 percent first though. I am the only one in the family that turns wrench's or pays bills so one at a time. The cutlass is a nice looker though and if that is what she wants I am sure some day it will happen.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts