Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got new 1" lowered leaf springs and installed them with the new shackles and bushings. I also narrowed a 9" and it is installed as well. Everything went in just perfect except my new gas-a-just shocks won't go up into place. They aren't long enough it seems. I tried jacking up the rear end to compress the leaf springs and the shocks still aren't quite there. So...do i have to put a lot of weight in the rear of the car for it to sit down enough or do the spring need to settle?....I'm lost here and don't know what to do. Im positive I ordered the right shocks. Could it be the spring plates? They are ron morris brand. Any advice would be awesome. Thanks!
Josh

·
Registered
913 Posts
On my 67 I lowered the rear using lowering blocks. and had to add shock extensions to get them bolt up.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Are the shocks for a Mustang, they will not fit about 4 inches to short.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Josh, I had a similar issue with my shocks...haven't replaced the leaf springs, but the Grab-A-Trak shocks I ordered were at full extent when the car did not have an interior or full tank of gas...I ended up taking measurements and calling into KYB and they were able to help me get a set of shocks to fit...

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I didn't have any issue with my KYBs. They arrived compressed with a band around them. Once I removed the band, I had to twist them a little to make them extend.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts