Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a big block 68 that has had a problem keeping a charge, if I jump it and let it run awhile the minute I turn it off, if I immediately try again it won't start.
I recently got a 68 XR7 and it does the same thing. I haven't bought a new battery for either, but the battery I put in the XR7 is from my race car so it is a new battery this year.
My cousin mentioned the starter might be suspect.....but on both cars?
I've changed solenoid on big block car, all cables are new,etc. but not a new battery in it.......
I know it's a pretty generic question but thought some of my description might ring a bell with someone......thanks in advance.......Keith

·
Registered
15 Posts
Have you tested your voltage regulator? You should be getting around 14 volts at the battery terminals,at idle,if it`s charging. You say your cables are all new,but did you CLEAN all of the connections? A bad ground will also cause your car not to start,and by it starting with jumpers only reinforces that theory.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
in addition to 68s plan .... get the cat started and the then remove the negative side battery cable... if it dies... bad charging system (alternator, regulator, ect...)... if it doesn't ... bad battery.

old shadetree trick

Don:1poke: .... these are so kool:D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts