Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see so many times that when the vinyl is pulled off of the roof that it is rusty. I also see that many of the restorations when putting a vinyl roof back on they don't paint the roof, Why not?
Personally, just because the factory didn't paint the thing just to save some paint, why wouldn't you just paint the whole thing to protect it from rust?

Im I wrong in saying this? I figure if the whole top was painted along with the whole car and then the vinyl put on wouldn't this help stop any rust?

Im asking because, well I like the look and I will be putting one on when the time comes.
Your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
It's a good question... seems like most people at least throw primer on the roof, but don't some primers absorb moisture?

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
It's a good question... seems like most people at least throw primer on the roof, but don't some primers absorb moisture?
if it is not an epoxy or a 2k type of primer it will absorb moisture

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
why wouldn't you just paint the whole thing to protect it from rust?

Im I wrong in saying this?
Your thoughts?
Paint it, it will certainly last much longer than not doing so.

When I purchased my Cougar it had an after market vinyl top on it. The steel top had been painted from the factory. There was zero rust under the vinyl roof.

Reactions: AZCAT

·
Registered
992 Posts
Body guys correct me if I'm wrong, but you don't need to paint it the top color (like base and clear), just make sure you put a seal coat down over high build primer?? Or like jk69cat said, you can just use an epoxy primer (as long as you're not doing bodywork on top of it like filling dents and whatnot)? Then you're done and protected in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My thoughts exactly when it comes to primer being porous. Epoxy primer would be good but still not as good as another paint on top of it.

The next question is, do you think the painted top would need to be scuffed before the glue goes on?

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Yeah i will definately recommend that you scuff it before gluing on the vinyl top, and also, on a fresh paint, wait at least 1 month before gluing on the vinyl top

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
After repairing any dents and killing the rust, and replacing any rusty metal holes, I epoxy primered. then will get shot with sealer and possibly paint as I shoot the car.
Scuffing is a good idea, I'll do that before applying the vinyl top. Great tip.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I believe epoxy primer is a must first as a base then your good to go for some wonderful paint! Im thinking Root bear paint, black vinyl top and a possibly parchment or saddle leather interior.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts