Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am kinda new here, but definatley not new to cougars. I recieved my first one when i was 15. soon after, i shipped off with the navy, and now 9 years later, i am now getting to be able to start my work. I've wondered why for years why the cleavland motor was in the car when it was vin'd with a windsor. I know the cleveland didn't even come out until the 70's so thats wierd. I've heard of ford throwing in "leftovers" into mustangs, but in this case, it wouldn't be a leftover engine, rather a newer one. Anywho, i know for a fact that this hasn't been swaped in, because of all the markings and its completeness, along with the fact that i purchased it from the original owner who is in my direct blood line. Anyways, does anyone know something i don't, or am i lost. Its a 2v cleveland, and the serial is a late 69 model. I will get the clevelands production date when i get home.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
My son's 70 Cougar has all the 70 styling cues, and is still titled as a 69. It sounds like just a date transfer issue, rather than any serious documentation fruad or anything going on.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I'd be interested to see the date codes on the body and such, maybe the marti on production dates, etc.

Maybe measure the rear quarter wheel opening and see if you have a 69 or 70 unit body.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Give us the Vin and data plate info and we will decode it. Its possible you have a early 1970. The 70 models started hitting show rooms in Sept.1969 so production would have started in maybe August. Otherwise someone did a engine swap.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Can you post the casting dates from the engine block? I have yet to see a Cleveland turn up in an older model that was not swapped. If the block casting date matches the 69 car date build spread, than you have one. Also, all 5 of the Cleveland blocks I have are stamped with a partial VIN on the rear of the block just below the drivers side head. Please check these items and get back to us. John

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Here's a picture of what John is talking about. Click into the picture for a higher res look, the partial VIN is very clear just to the left of the upper left bellhousing bolt, at the rear of the DS cylinder bank.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey thanks guys, i'll take a look tonight. I don't have the vin off the top of my head just yet, but it is 9f91h????? so i know that it was produced in 69 and was supposed to have the windsor in it. The date stamp is missing and has been for years, so i'm going to get the marti to see what they know. I will post up the serial number tonight, and also take a look at the partial vin on the cleveland. What exactly am i looking for there. I assume the partial vin on the motor is going to match my production number and if not, then it was swaped in. We'll find out tonight, and i will also post up some pics so you guys can see the old beaty. It sat in colorado for 9 years while ive been all over the world with the navy. Now i'm home, and got it out to california to start on it. But..............................to make a long story short, I had to buy my wife a 67 Fastback Mustang to be able to work on the cougar. Thanks guys, and if you have any suggestions about the car, let me know.

Travis

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
...and also take a look at the partial vin on the cleveland. What exactly am i looking for there. I assume the partial vin on the motor is going to match my production number and if not, then it was swaped in...
You are looking for what I posted in the picture above, and yes the last 5 digits should match your VIN.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
also, while i got a thread going, does anyone know of any availible 69 qarters. I know i will need at least the pass side. Also going to need front fenders

·
11,000 Posts
Could be someone stamped a VIN in the block when he or she made the swap. In any case the 351C didn't exist in the 1969 model year, so it is not original.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Could be someone stamped a VIN in the block when he or she made the swap. In any case the 351C didn't exist in the 1969 model year, so it is not original.
Sweeping generalization sensor triggered.

If the car was very late '69, seems to me that it might be a possibility.

·
11,000 Posts
Sorry, that is ridiculaous. Ford had to certify every available engine with the EPA. That did not happen in 1969, making it not only implausible but illegal.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Sorry, that is ridiculaous. Ford had to certify every available engine with the EPA. That did not happen in 1969, making it not only implausible but illegal.
Well, we all know that I am the king of the "ridiculaous" :buck: All in the interest of higher learning would be the reasoning.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
working on that partial vin right now. its dark, and we all know how much room is in between the firewall and the back of the block.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts

There are a number of possibilities here with this car. Let the owner get the digits and the evidence will tell the tale.
Maybe the original owner's memory ain't so good, or it is something weird.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
working on that partial vin right now. its dark, and we all know how much room is in between the firewall and the back of the block.
Yeah, that's a tight fit in there. Do the best you can with it. Don't be afraid to sneak a digicam in there to take still pics and maybe vid too. It's easier than trying to lay eyes on it sometimes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok guys, i'm going to put this to rest. I can see the numbers, and they are what appears to be 0A16612. This isn't the same vin stamp, so i believe that this was swapped in. Anywho, now i need to find out what it came out of, just for fun. Anyone maybe know?

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Looks like 0A166124 to me.
That's what I think also. trav2210, here is the breakdown:0-Year, possibly 1970, A-Plant code, possibly Atlanta & 166124-The VIN to the car that it came out of. Since the VIN starts with a 1, it was originally in a Ford. I don't know what models were built out of Atlanta. If you can post the casting number & date code on the block it would help narrow down what year the block is. John

1 - 20 of 36 Posts