Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe how slow this site is since it was "taken over"! It takes over 20 seconds to load a page, and over 15 seconds after I have logged on to load a page. I have pinged it and it times out every time. No problems with other places (Google, Classic Cougar Community, Craigslist, Ebay, ect), so it not on my end, it is this place (Mercnet). Hardly worth it anymore...

Ads or not this site :bloated: sucks!

Anybody else???????

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
No problems for me, Bill. The only thing that has changed is if you're not logged in you get to see the ads. That and stuff hilited or underlined which are ad links.

Hope all is well and that you come out of the deep freeze with no issues.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Jeff

Happy New Year to you and your cats!

This site still takes over 15 seconds after I am logged in to load next page. Try pinging this via command.. I tried again and IP of this site changed, so now I get 53ms average. Maybe things were messed up on host side, but the site has been very slow for quite some time.

GO PACKERS!
(Wife says "Go Pittsburg" ( to appease those on the OTHER side of the field !!) LOL )

Still have not ever sent a text! and PROUD about it!!!:eek2:

·
Registered
650 Posts
If I am not logged in, I have to refresh each thread before I can read the post. <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=730><TBODY><TR><TD id=infoIconAlign vAlign=top rowSpan=2 width=60 align=left>
</TD><TD id=mainTitleAlign vAlign=center width=* align=left>The website cannot display the page

</TD></TR><TR><!-- This row is for HTTP status code, as well as the divider--><TD id=http500Align class=errorCodeAndDivider align=right><ID id=http500> HTTP 500</ID>
</TD></TR><!-- Error Body --><TR><TD> </TD><TD id=likelyCausesAlign vAlign=top align=left>Most likely causes:

• The website is under maintenance.
  • The website has a programming error.
</TD></TR><!-- What you can do --><TR><TD> </TD><TD id=whatToTryAlign vAlign=top align=left>What you can try:

</TD></TR><!-- refresh page --><TR><TD> </TD><TD id=refreshPageAlign vAlign=center align=left><TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>
</TD><TD vAlign=top>Refresh the page.<NOSCRIPT id=refreshPage></NOSCRIPT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR><!-- back to previous page --><TR><TD> </TD><TD id=goBackAlign vAlign=center align=left><TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>
</TD><TD vAlign=top>Go back to the previous page.<NOSCRIPT id=goBack></NOSCRIPT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR><!-- InfoBlock --><TR><TD id=infoBlockAlign vAlign=top align=right> </TD><TD id=moreInfoAlign vAlign=center align=left><TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top> </TD><TD vAlign=top>More information</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Bill,

I have noticed the same thing ever since the change, but only from work. Also, it seems fine early in the morning (from work) but around 8 am it becomes very slow. 20 seconds? You are doing better than I am! I'm talking better part of a minute. If I weren't the ECI, doubt I could tolerate it. Even being the ECI, I sometimes want to smash the computer waiting for this site to load...

·
Registered
210 Posts
This problem you all seem to be having I'm still not seeing it. This site seems to be the same speed it
was before the takeover. I've had no problems what so ever. I'm on this site anywhere from 6 to 10 times
per day. Anytime from 7 AM(PST) to 1130 PM(PST). the results are always the same. The pages all load just
fine. I haven't really seem much if any difference since the big take over. I can still do all I did just like I did.
Just saying.....

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
And we that do have problems wish we were like you 70XR7.

Bill,

I tried pinging the site from two different access methods I have available to me at work, both time out 100% of the time. However, on the second (unfettered) access method, the site loads normally. Using the regular access I have (which was fine for close to 7 years before the change of ownership), the site is EXCRUCIATINGLY PAINFULLY slow to load. I'm talking kidney stone painful. I'll time a page load in a minute and let you know how long I'm seeing.

Bob

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I'm i So.Ca and am on Verizon Fibre optic network and it is very fast for me.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
HOLY SH!T!!! When I said slow, I didn't realize just how slow I was talking about. Right now, at 2 pm eastern, it is taking 1:10, that's ONE MINUTE, TEN SECONDS to refresh the page, bring up a thread, new posts, whatever. For me, it is like reliving 14.4Kbps dialup internet access. Hardly worth it is right Bill.

·
Registered
210 Posts
From regular windows page to IE to Mercurycougar.net to forum page to Why is the site so low thread. 13.0 seconds.
I to am in Socal and using Time Warner Cable.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Yes very very very slow for me also. Frustrating to just read something no less try to post. Early am is a bit better but still real slow I was thinking about asking the same thing last night but took forever to load a new topic page. So I just gave up. Sad. All the other sites and forums I frequent are fine.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
HOLY SH!T!!! When I said slow, I didn't realize just how slow I was talking about. Right now, at 2 pm eastern, it is taking 1:10, that's ONE MINUTE, TEN SECONDS to refresh the page, bring up a thread, new posts, whatever. For me, it is like reliving 14.4Kbps dialup internet access. Hardly worth it is right Bill.
Sounds like you need to complain to a moderator.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Sounds like you need to complain to a moderator.
Yeah, huh? They forgot to give them the knob to the bandwidth valve...

All kidding aside, I have spoken to Helena about it numerous times and she says nothing can be done about it. Poppycock! I say.

poppycock ( ) n. Senseless talk; nonsense.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Fast for some and Slow for others is more indicative of a network issue rather than a server issue. A network issue is likely out of the hands of the server provider. I wonder if the server is now located in Canada, I read they are now throttling the networks to limit usage in Canada.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe it's so cold the electrons are slowing down! My guess is a combination of things. The server bandwidth was narrowed to keep the cost down for the "new landlord". The ad's and "underlining word" crap are causing a LOT of this. Excuses from Helena are just that excuses. Maybe a few users here feel the site is the same speed, but I'm sure a majority feel otherwise.

How about a POLL?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Fast for some and Slow for others is more indicative of a network issue rather than a server issue. A network issue is likely out of the hands of the server provider. I wonder if the server is now located in Canada, I read they are now throttling the networks to limit usage in Canada.
Yeah and (to keep it car related) the throttle is now a T code 200 CID I6 when it used to be a W code 427 :buck:

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I'm i So.Ca and am on Vorizon Fibre optic network and it is very fast for me.
"Excuse me stewardess, I speak Jive" :buck:

·
Registered
439 Posts
Works just fine for me, I never have to put in user code & password. I have Charter.
Randy Feuillerat

1 - 20 of 43 Posts