Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tires have a lot of negative camber and now its starting to make my steering feel strange. What do I need to change to fix this? The upper ball joints were changed earlier this year and I know I'm about due for a complete tie rod linkage change, would the lower ball joints cause this amount of negative camber?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Have you had a wheel alignment? Ball joints and bushings upper and lower all can affect the camber significantly and need to be in good condition in order for a wheel alignment to to be properly done and make settings that will stay in place once made. Also, have you looked at the position of your lower control arm eccentrics? This is how the camber is set and if the bolts are as far outboard (and the cams facing inward) will cause a lot of negative camber. However, changing the eccentric position will also change the toe-in/out significantly and the caster to some degree also, so it is not as simple as move the eccentrics and you are done. Again, points to the need for a proper wheel alignment after verifying (and/or replacing) suspension components are in good working condition.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts