Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO, in a nutshell, I got the replacement part number for my 1996 Mercury cougar 4.6
8 cyl: F7SZ12A650BB...
And I can't find it ANYWHERE. Does it have to be IDENTICAL?
I've been able to find F6SZ12A650BB, F7SF12A650BB, etc.

Thanks in advance to ANYONE able to shed even a pin-point of light on this one for me.
At my wits end.

PS. calibration= 6-18P R10

·
Registered
43 Posts
If nothing else you should call up the vendor of the other ecu's and check with them. Or you can go to a salvage yard and look for one there, but make sure you get a warranty with your part if possible. Pull a Part is awesome to find odd parts like that.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
NAPA will have it. Will be around 250 bucks. Mine went out on me when I was in New Orleans and the regional distribution center there had one in stock. Your local one may not have it in stock, but they can get it in a couple of days. All the other parts stores were telling me it would be 2-6 weeks. All of the Fords of that vintage use the same box for the most part, it is the programing and calibrations that are different.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But does anyone here know what the numbers in the part stand for?
If they're off by one could they even be a potential match?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I think the part number is only slightly different because it's a different revision of software.....I would think you are OK 99% of the time as long as it wasn't a rev designed for something goofy like an RV with extra sensors or what not that you wouldn't have. Usually it's no big thing - they found some data point in an earlier version and decided to make a minor change to correct/improve it.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
F6 = 1996
F7 = 1997
I think you would be ok as long as it was a 96 or 97 as no changes were made. Ford changed the intake manifold for the 96 model and a different calibration, so don't go older then 96.

·
Registered
902 Posts
SO, in a nutshell, I got the replacement part number for my 1996 Mercury cougar 4.6
8 cyl: F7SZ12A650BB...
And I can't find it ANYWHERE. Does it have to be IDENTICAL?
I've been able to find F6SZ12A650BB, F7SF12A650BB, etc.

Thanks in advance to ANYONE able to shed even a pin-point of light on this one for me.
At my wits end.

PS. calibration= 6-18P R10
Just needed to ask...Based on the OEM Ford ECU number you provided, all of these aftermarket ECU's are the same. By the way, the F7SF ECU you mention is the same as your original. The F7SF number is what Ford refers to as the engineering number. :

<TABLE borderColor=#003600 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="98%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#ffffff height=26>ACDELCO CANADA </TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff>218-11444</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff>Reman Engine Control Computer</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#ffffff>$ 242.37 </TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#ffffff></TD></TR><TR><!--SHRIPAD - BRD135 --><!--SHRIPAD - BRD135 --><TD bgColor=#ffffff height=26>ACDELCO US </TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff>218-11444</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff>Reman Engine Control Computer</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#ffffff>$ 242.37 </TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#ffffff></TD></TR><TR><!--SHRIPAD - BRD135 --><!--SHRIPAD - BRD135 --><TD bgColor=#ffffff height=26>BWD AUTOMOTIVE</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff>ECC11016</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff>Reman Engine Control Computer</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#ffffff>$ 0.00 </TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#ffffff></TD></TR><TR><!--SHRIPAD - BRD135 --><!--SHRIPAD - BRD135 --><TD bgColor=#ffffff height=26>CARDONE / A-1 CARDONE</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff>78-7062</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff>Reman Engine Control Computer</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#ffffff>$ 221.55 </TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#ffffff></TD></TR><TR><!--SHRIPAD - BRD135 --><!--SHRIPAD - BRD135 --><TD bgColor=#ffffff height=26>CARDONE / A-1 CARDONE</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff>788409F</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff>Engine Control Module</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#ffffff>$ 0.00 </TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#ffffff></TD></TR><TR><!--SHRIPAD - BRD135 --><!--SHRIPAD - BRD135 --><TD bgColor=#ffffff height=26>DELPHI</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff>EC10688</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff></TD><TD align=right bgColor=#ffffff>$ 0.00 </TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#ffffff></TD></TR><TR><!--SHRIPAD - BRD135 --><!--SHRIPAD - BRD135 --><TD bgColor=#ffffff height=26>STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff>EM11016</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff>Reman Engine Control Computer</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Good to know ---- I just looked at my 98 f150 and it starts with F65F but also shows a date of 9/23/1997 so maybe they designed it in 1996 and it carried through a few years I guess? Also its a 5.4 which may be different anyway....
I am going to either rebuild this motor or look for a reman in the next year or so....I was wondering what I would need box-wise if I move to a different setup. At least the aftermarket seems to support this stuff pretty well!

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
NAPA will have it. Will be around 250 bucks. Mine went out on me when I was in New Orleans and the regional distribution center there had one in stock. Your local one may not have it in stock, but they can get it in a couple of days. All the other parts stores were telling me it would be 2-6 weeks. All of the Fords of that vintage use the same box for the most part, it is the programing and calibrations that are different.
These are generally done by A1 Cardone, and you can even send your old one off to be rebuilt/reman'ed and have it returned in a short period of time.
But, yes, you can get one from the local NAPA or Independent parts store that uses A1 Cardone as a rebuilder service.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts