Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mean WTF does our car not exist, you know how hard it is especially for me to find panels on a rust free car? I mean i can get some from Lin Thurston, but if i can't come up with the money i am SOL cause he has other peeps that need them as well. I totally understand this and respect his position in this matter.
In the mean time i may have to have Ken Gucker...a member of the Ct Cougar club fabricate some which is gonna cost quite a bit more...and take a hell of alot longer to finish then would the cut and replace method...i mean can i get a break or what!
Sorry to yell guys but this is the one thing that frustrates me to no end is the lack of support for the 71-73 cats, i mean they are classics...and i mean the 71-73 stang gets all kinds of repair panels....it's just BS in my eyes!
Sorry again.
Thansk for reading my rant.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
ya know
ray harwood should make up a set for the 71-73s He does alot of parts for 67-70 cars. Ask don rush he has alot of cougars he may have what ya need.
thanks
pat

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
71-73 parts

Easy Dave, ya feeling a bit like the proverbial red-headed stepchild? You've got it made. You only have the one Cat to worry about. I have the three of them to find parts for! LOL :cry: :1zhelp: :cry: :confused: :cry: ;) :cry: :p:

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
True man but that still does not make it any easier....lol
I feel bad for ranting, but it bugs me ...as it should all 71-73 owners!
:)

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have not seen Ray's panels, which I understand are made from original front fenders of the opposite side. I know that the aftermarket panels for 69-70 are of poor quality and the lines are not as defined as the correct panel.

Steve

·
Registered
209 Posts
I think it sucks that you can't find the panels you want. Mustangs come first and Cougars come second in the aftermarket peoples minds. Cougars are always left behind sometimes. In the wild, don't Cougars prey on ponies anyway??? hahah. I know how you feel though. I have a 1960 Ford panel truck and I have been trying to find some after market parts for it. I can get most of the parts, but some of the little things I can't get. But you can almost buy every damn single part for the 1953 to 1956 Ford truck. The 1957-1960 Ford trucks are forgotten just like the 71-73 Cougars. I feel your pain, just hang in there. Later!!

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
because it's a 73 ;) just kidding

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
generally the money issue of having one fabricated, also i live the RUST belt..the North East finding a rust free anything here is hard let alone a 73 Cougar...

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
How bad is it rusted? If it's just patch panels, just fabricate some up. Some simple sheet metal tools and a little patience can get you patch panels in no time.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
Dave any hot rod shop can send you to a good metal fabricator in your area. try there first.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
huh? They made Cougars after '67??????????

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ouch thats bad; don't feel bad about ranting, I'm not in a much better boat with my 96. While yes I can get parts eaiser 90%+ have to come straight from Dearborn, via special order. What I mostly hear "We don't carry that, try Ford." and at Ford "Well we CAN get it but..." but thankfully GA dont have a rust problem, so junkyards are viable if ya can find 1 of the orginal 30,000

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Its true any competant body man can make the patch panels and again I "suggest" that you use an opposite fender wheel arch for the rear wheel arch. Its whats done when no panel is available. On 69 70s you remove 1 1/4 inches from center and graft away. Not rocket science and cheap. I sell patches for $45 each and while I could make 1/2/3 patches I need an old panel as a guide. Its an esy fix from my viewpoint. The hard part is making the outer wheel house repairs before you get to add the patch and/or wheel arch.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
Ray and i thought i had it bad on oil change friday and car wash saterday YEESH!:D

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Wow, Dave

Didn't know Ginger was so bad. She is rusted more than my Missouri cat Ginger but, she is banged up.

Hang in there. You'll get there in time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts