Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Why does it always happen to me? ( a story about everything that can go wrong)

5K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  johnboy 
#1 ·
I think it is time for a really good story showing how everything that can go wrong goes wrong for me. It also shows how cheap and small some eBay sellers really can get.

This spring I have been searching eBay and the Internet for the correct parts for the smog system for my 68 XR7-G. One of the parts I found on ebay was a used smog cannister or diverter with a date code that was near perfect for my car.
The seller described it as a good unit in functional condition, which was essential for me as I wanted a working smog system.

Here is the copy of the eBay listing 260760932560:

OK, so I bought it and got it some time later in the mail. After a short inspection I found that the seller wasn't telling the truth, the unit was not totally defective and he had also used one picture from another diverter in the listing to hide that it actually had a small dent on the top. As I result I contacted the seller and told him about the condition and that I would like him to take it back for a refund. The seller told me that he did not accept any returns and would not give me a refund. After that he stopped communicating. Then I had nothing else to do than to send a complaint to eBay, which after a while escalated to a claim under the Paypal buyer protection system. After some "investigation" from paypal they told me I would get a full refund if I shipped the item back and provided the tracking number.
So I shipped it back, which cost me another $60 and gave Paypal the tracking number CD592592813NO, which can be tracked at USPS.com . I assumed I would get my money back pretty soon after that, but nothing happened. After 3 weeks I sent and e-mail to Paypal asking what was going on and I was then told that they would not pay me back my money before I gave them a valid tracking number. I gave them the number again and waited, but nothing happened. I asked again and again, but all I got was some automatic e-mail telling me they were still investigating the case. Finally in the beginning of July I got an e-mail where they told me they would not give me a refund since I had not given a proof of delivery of the package. I then tried to find out what happened, but the tracking information only told me that the package was at the unit in Levittown, PA, and that it had been there since June 4. I sent several e-mails to USPS and the Norwegian post asking if they could please find out what happened with the package, but no one could tell.

OK, so now I had no diverter and I had spent more than $300 on this.

Then last week I bought another small part on ebay from a seller with the user name 3rdshiftman. When I paid for the item I discovered that the person behind the username was the very same person as the for the user name gwpford. Then I looked at his other items for sale, and guess what I found? The very same diverter that I had returned to him earlier and that he told Paypal he never received. He even had it listed being in good condition this time as well, well knowing that it is not functional. What a jerk. :whore:

Obviously USPS screwed up and delivered the package without getting the delivery confirmation as they should.

Here is a copy of the new listing, eBay item 190557324733

I guess you all would agree with me that this is the same item. So what do I do now?
Well, I pushed the buy it now button on the new listing and it will be very interesting to see what he says when he discover that the buyer is the same person that bought it from him the first time :)

Maybe I ask too much from people, but honestly, how many of you would have done the same as this guy? Not many I hope.

See less See more
#2 ·
Man that sucks,
i know who the person is, his name is GEORGE POWELL. I bought a set of seatbelts a very long time ago for my 70 and was told the belts were for a 70 convertible.Come to find out they were for a 69 hardtop and were totally wrong.I wouldnt buy from him ever again.He parted out a G code 70 eliminator a long time ago and it was pretty rusty and he asked alot for parts off the car. Again i`m sorry to see you got shafted on this and the money you spent.I got burnt 1 time from ebay, i bought a hood for my 80 stepside and i paid for the hood, the packaging,the shipping and was in contact with the seller.I go get my hood from a shipping transport and i even took the day off from work.I get there and they said it suffered a"little damage".Ok i figured it got a dent or 2, cone to find out it looked like a oak tree fell on it and buckled it to the point it was junk.I told them i cant accept this i`m building a 30k dollar show truck,take it n chuck it in the trash.I spent over 300 total and only got 80.00 back.I was livid and learned a hefty lesson.

thanks
pat

#5 · (Edited)
I know its too late now but if you or anyone ever have problems with a Paypal sale and you pay with a credit card (not bank debit) payment, go directly to your credit card company first. I recently had an issue with a 47' Fountain powerboat purchase that was totally misadvertised on ebay and the seller refused to refund my $2000 deposit. I called American Express and the first thing they asked me was if I had opened up a Paypal case/investigation. If I had they said they could not help me but since I didn't open a case they took care of everything and within two weeks I had a temporary credit on my card. It took another month to get it finalized but at least the money was off my card. I can't say enough about the customer service AmEx provided, definitely top notch. I have also had good success with my Visa card as well years ago when I had a small problem. Hope this info helps.

#6 ·
I, too, do not deal with PayPal when I have a problem. The credit card company has always treated me well when there was dispute. Keep in mind that you have sixty days to file the dispute with the credit card company. PayPal will stall and delay to get past this deadline, I swear...

#8 ·
All you need to do is hit the CHANGE link, they do print it small, as they prefer fast payment through transfer, but I do if all the time.

I have only one card, pay it full each month, but using it would give me some time to challenge if needed. So far I haven't needed to.

Dale in Indy

#9 ·
A little more Paypal Info. It should be noted that if you want to use a credit card for a Paypal payment for your purchase and your Paypal account has a positive balance from someone that has sent you money you will first have to initiate a transfer out of you Paypal account into your bank account first. The transfer does not have to be completed just initated, otherwise Payapl will only charge your credit card the amount of your purchase that is above the balance in your Paypal account. By doing it this way your credit card will be charged the exact amount of your purchase to be fully protected otherwise I think you may still have to deal with Paypal's solution center which to my understanding never really provides a solution. :(

#10 ·
The reason Gry had a problem is because there was apparently no proof of delivery. You must provide some type of delivery confirmation, which is an extra service and has to be purchased separately. Otherwise people could claim an item was returned when in fact it never was. For US shipping it is as simple as delivery confirmation or signature confirmation for more expensive items. For international it may require registered mail.

Am Ex generally provides great customer service, but unfortunately a lot of merchants won't accept it. They recently raised their rate to 5%, even through Paypal. Compared to the 2.5% average for Visa and Mastercard, they are a bit too greedy.

#11 ·
A package shipped internationally with USPS should not be delivered without a signature that it has been delivered. This is not an option, this is mandatory.
As I see it USPS screwed up because they delivered the package without getting the signature as they should.
Anyways, the major problem here is the seller George Powell who apparently is dishonest and has no honor what so ever. Not only did he sell a non functional item to me, then refused to take it back so I needed to involve Paypal. Then when he got it back in the mail he lied to Paypal telling he did not receive the package. Finally he has listed the same item which technically is mine on eBay telling it is is good condition.
Only first class losers do things like this.:realmad:

BTW, I have filed a complaint to VISA as I always use my credit cards on Paypal for the extra buyer protection. Time will show if they will give me a refund.
I have also sent a message to the seller asking him to refund my money now that I have proof showing that he got the item returned to him, but he is not answering my messages or e-mails.

#12 ·
I sent him a message.

Where is he located?

#14 ·
He replied.
Since I don't do much on eBay and have a low feedback.
All he said was: 5 feedback ? get serious !.

#16 ·
I understand the frustration, but the USPS does not provide delivery confirmation on international or domestic packages unless it is purchased separately. Don't shoot the messenger, I'm just explaining how they work. I ship a couple hundred packages a week, so I'm quite familiar with the policies.

I agree this guy is a scumbag. Based on your experience I'll be sure never to do business with him. And I'm sure no one else reading this thread will either.

I can tell you how to get even with him, but you'll have to stoop to his level. Send me a PM if you want to know.

#17 ·
Get ahold of ebay, you can get your money back if you paid using Paypal. Show them that this guy is selling the same item again. I've done a lot of selling on ebay and the buyer has the upper hand anymore.

Michael

#18 ·
Getting in touch with eBay is harder than to arrange a meeting with the president of the USA.
Paypal buyer protection is more or less a bad joke for a foreign customer. Life is a ever lasting learning process, now I know not to involve Paypal or ebay if something is wrong and to go directly to my credit card company :)

#19 ·
Gosh I hope Visa can help you, but one wonders if they will claim they are not in the business of going after individuals like they will do regarding companies.

#20 ·
i've had two claims i have done via ebay and on one the seller was a big volume seller and wouldnt honor his return policy on some parts for the yukon XL. i went to ebay and opened the claim and told them I was not goinng to pay return shipping as well and i wound up with ebay refunding the money as long as i shipped the item back and provided the tracking info. i didnt have to wait for it to be received. only shown that it was tracked and what destination it was mailed to. ebay refunded the money directly to me for my original shipping and product.

second one i went round and round with a used DVD player for our old SUV. wound up gonig to ebay for it too and same thing, refund via ebay as soon as i provided tracking info to show it was shipped.

good luck, glad my experiences have been good so far...i feel im gonna be using ebay and other online people alot for this cougar haha

#22 ·
in the ten years i have been on feebay, i have never had a bad buying experience. however as seller they are getting waay to greedy

#25 ·
Glenn, thanks for your good advice. What you suggest sounds like a good idea but it seems like I don't have to bother with him anymore as justice will soon kick his butt. Yesterday I got an e-mail from Paypal telling that my credit card company has filed a chargeback on the transaction. If I know Paypal right they will be on the sellers back pretty soon to get their money back from him.

#27 ·
glenn, thanks for your good advice. What you suggest sounds like a good idea but it seems like i don't have to bother with him anymore as justice will soon kick his butt. Yesterday i got an e-mail from paypal telling that my credit card company has filed a chargeback on the transaction. If i know paypal right they will be on the sellers back pretty soon to get their money back from him.
good for you !!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.