Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went about six miles across town last night to get my wife and I some pizza from a specialized pizzeria, and two different cars wanted to intice me to race with them on the way. On the way home, I picked on a 67? vette convertible.....pulled him pretty hard for the small time we were on it! Then a newer gm truck tried getting me to race with him.....he seemed faster than the corvette.
Today I drove into the St. Louis downtown city for a writers workshop. On the way home I had another car trying to race with me. Is it just my car or do you guys get this alot also?
I don't mind playing around a little but I can't be doing it all the time.........can't afford the tickets..........Keith

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
It's just spring, the idiots are blooming...lol,,,

Bruce

·
Registered
600 Posts
I hear ya man well if it was the 67 then it's understandable it's a mean looking cat!
All in all bruce is right, idiots are blooming!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's the 67........

Yea, it's the 67 I was talking about. I would enjoy it more to rat race through some twists and turns as it is set up for handling, but for drag racing I don't mind an occasional 30 mph punch, but it's a 340 horse engine so drag racing wouldn't be my first choice with it. Maybe it's the torque-d wheels that gets them other drivers going or maybe they don't like limefrost green!

·
Registered
339 Posts
It must be the agressive look of the Cougar. Every mustang, camaro or firebird owner I come across always give me a mean dirty look. Even though they may have a faster car they see my car as competition. I guess orange paint thumping exhaust beat and big wheels and tires will do that. I always get a kick out the looks pony car drivers give me.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Must be nice to actually drive your cat. mine's STILL in the shop, but supposedly, the tool is in and the work should get done here pretty quick.

And worse yet, my stone stock 302-2V has beat some cars an frightened others. I still remember the silver Camaro who took off like a bat outta hell, after my usual start at a lite, foot half way to the floor. I was faster off the line in a climbing/pulling 4x4 than a binky bowtie.:D

·
Registered
519 Posts
I get it too, mostly from the GM guys and cocky ricers. I've devised a plan though....

Look over at'em in the eye and give a big ole yawn. heheee

·
Registered
339 Posts
Both my computers were recently wiped out, but I will try to pull some off of the car club web site.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I dont know what it is I only have a 1967 yellow POS with 14 inch moonies and I get people wanting to race me too.

Hell I got a ticket for racing the other day when the ricer I was trying to pass kept speeding up and slowing down and wouldnt let me in, I didnt notice the unmarked cop behind me when I opened it up. I didnt get a ticket for speeding just racing on a public hi-way, but he pulled over the rice racer too so I dont feel too bad.

Cop said he followed us for 3 blocks and watched the ricer messing with me and was going to pull him over until he saw my car squat and heard the exhaust kick in. He waited until I walked the ricer and passed him to turn on the blueberries and cherries.
Ohh well at least I wasnt speeding ;) (read didnt get clocked) The cop did ask me how fast i was going and I told him 60 (in a 45) and he asked how sure was I. I said real sure cause I had just red-lined first and slapped it into second when I saw the hideaway lights in his grill go off and my first gear shift point is right at 50-53. Then he told me I was lucky that he didnt have time to pace me. Ohh well I am lucky that I didnt get in an accident and lucky they didnt throw me in the pokey.

But this isnt the first time that some that people have antagonized me, its usually someone in an '80s IROC or Briggs&Stratton muffler sounding rice racer but I usually dont act on the impulse of foot to floor, at least not on city streets.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Surprisingly, I don't get hassled all that much. Maybe the looks of the car scares them away??? I don't know why because my car really isn't that fast. I'd probably get embarassed quicker than the car is.

It did happen on Woodward Avenue during the Dream Cruise two years ago. There is no way we could have raced because of all the crowds around. But, a guy in a Chevelle pulled up next to us and talked trash about going for it for pink slips. I told him I didn't have room for his car in my garage and just cruised away.

Mark

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
You're lucky

gqconley said:
I dont know what it is I only have a 1967 yellow POS with 14 inch moonies and I get people wanting to race me too.

Hell I got a ticket for racing the other day when the ricer I was trying to pass kept speeding up and slowing down and wouldnt let me in, I didnt notice the unmarked cop behind me when I opened it up. I didnt get a ticket for speeding just racing on a public hi-way, but he pulled over the rice racer too so I dont feel too bad.

It's automatic jail now for exhibition of acceleration and / or racing here. They impound your car and all. Minimum 1 night in jail - no bailing out. Think it's helping to crack down? Damn straight...

·
Contributing Member
246 Posts
In NC pre-arranged racing on the streets gets your car confiscated and sold at auction and you lose your license for a year.
The term "pre-arranged" has been loosely applied to include acknowledging each other at a traffic light or simply pulling up next to someone on the highway and "mashing-the-skinny-pedal".
And this is where NASCAR began.......

·
Registered
209 Posts
I get a lot of people who want to race me. I do a lot of stop light drag racing. I usually smoke everyone but I am still careful since I don't want to get any tickets. I was thinking about doing some street racing to shut up those damn Rice Burners! American Muscle owns the road around the U.S. and it should stay that way. I prefer the drag strip since it is safer and actually legal to race. Usually all I have to do is rev the motor up and they get the idea. I just put my hand up to my ear to let them know I can't hear them since my car is so damn loud.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I like the "don't have room for your car in my garage" line...

I can picture John Milner saying that...*LOL*

Oops...did I "date" myself?

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
That depends. Did Milner say it in the theatre or on the TV? ;)

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Local Hero said:
But, a guy in a Chevelle pulled up next to us and talked trash about going for it for pink slips. I told him I didn't have room for his car in my garage and just cruised away.

Mark
I have to remeber that, thats a good one :D When I had my Fairlane on the road for the 3 days,. I only had a few tempted races. Others saw the 390 emblem, and backed off. One was I left the lights normal , and a camaro cruized beside me and reved it up, and I dropped it in first and floored it, and went snakey for a few feet ;) and hit second, and it slide sideways, and he backed off. Man I love this new motor :D Plus with no tailpipes on it, its intimidating to say the least when I punch it. I WONT race in town, I'll take it to the tack this year, and get a video of it for the site. The oldtimers drags is on my anniversary (June 7&8) so the wife and I are going for the weekend and doing our thing. Cant wait.

Rick

1 - 20 of 44 Posts