Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everytime, I tell people about I'm into Classic cars they say "What do you have?" and I tell them...they wrinkle their nose and say "Cougar?" Why?...they need to be crushed and then I'm crushed:( Why are people so mean? They don't even ask what year or anything....It's sad. I just had to vent.:1poke:

·
Registered
44 Posts
i figure its because most of the people who dont like cougars arent real 'muscle car' fans... they just like the 'pretty' muscle cars... just the ones that are popular... i like having the cougar, b/c no one expects much out of it, but its one of the classiest cars out there...

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Those people dont know Cougars like we do here.
Oh well. more cats for us..
"Quick to judge, quick to anger but slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice" as getti lee put it.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
:confused: Javalins are cool.......

·
Registered
614 Posts
Oooh or an AMX! Classy, futuristic styling!

Who am I kidding, more people would probably like an AMX. Too much TV, I think. Besides, why do you care what they say? What are THEY driving?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
or a 72 vega

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I love Cougars

I know...Oh, well...when did I care what people think!!
The car always gets the looks on the street and occaisional thumbs up!:p:

Love Geddy Lee and Rush!!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Most folks I have run in to that had negative opinions towards the Cougar claimed to be muscle car fans, but didn't drive one. Someone at work told me it wasn't a "real" muscle car. I politely explained to him that his civic was not a "real" spors car but rather an economy car marketed to secretaries, no matter how big the wing was. I do find that the average joe who liked muscle cars but never had the balls to buy one don't respect them but they are pretty respected by those in the know, espically those of you that are packing a big block.

·
Registered
44 Posts
thats what im talking about...

what do you mean my civic wasnt a sports car... i thought the 1.6L 105hp engine was pretty peppy...hehe :)

·
11,000 Posts
I was at Edgewater drag strip last summer with my green GTE. This guy in the staging lanes next to me had a Mitsubishi twin turbo with stickers all over it. He asked me what kind of car I had and then gave me a kind of sneer when I told him it was a Cougar. He seemed really confused about the 7.0 Litre badges on the side. He had never heard of a 427 Ford, he thought maybe I had a Chevy motor.

Then I blew his doors off. It looked like he had put on the emergency brake before the run or something.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Maybe they are under the spell of a demon and need to be XRcised. Be happy you bought yours when you did, the prices are going up up up!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
When someone knocks a classic car (mine or someone elses) I politely ask "Which one is yours?" That generally shuts them up.
It works real well when some know it all off the street starts picking your ride apart at a show too. ;)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Knocken Cougars?

:) Don't you never mind. The classic Cougar was the best looking and I might add classiest car Ford has ever made. With what was under the hood ever bit as powerful as the popular mustang, the Cougar is probably the best kept secrets in the classic car world.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
PEOPLE WHO ASK ,PROBABLY DONT EVEN HAVE A MUSCLE CAR , THEY DONT HAVE A CLUE. TRY SHOWING UP AT THE MID AMERICA SHELBY MUSTANG IN TULSA EVERY YEAR, AND PUT UP WITH THE ARROGANT SHELBY OWNERS. THEY TALKED ALOT OF SMACK ABOUT MY 70 351C ORANGE ELIMINATOR, UNTILL I BLEW AWAY 69 GT500 W BIG BLOCK , BEAT HIM BY TWO CAR LENGHTS. I SHUT THEM UP AFTER THAT. [email protected] HA HA.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Sorry some of you are having people knock your cars. Here I only get smiles, thumbs-up and shakas from people + some people who are very eager to tell about the Cougar, Mustang, Camaro, etc. they once owned and wish they still had. The only annoying ones here are the ones asking if I have had the car since new. (I was in 2nd grade when it hit the street).

·
Registered
120 Posts
I love Cougars, but I also like AMC's. They had some great cars. Hurst/Scrambler, Rebel Machine, and especially the 70 AMX with the blister hood. Great car... I had a 73 AMX a few years back. I wish I still had it. But, on the other hand, it's ok to slam the Vega's.

I was at a Mustang website reading some posts and one of them was about how snobby Cougar ownwers are. Snobby about what??? I wouldn't put down a Mustang or it's owner. I myself like all Muscle Cars. Even a Vega if it has a 513 Rat motor jammed in it.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Some people just can't admire something desirable. I have the same problems because I like Maseratis and VWs. Should see the level of garbage you get when a VW drops mid 14 quarters

·
Registered
337 Posts
Martin said:
Sorry some of you are having people knock your cars. Here I only get smiles, thumbs-up and shakas from people + some people who are very eager to tell about the Cougar, Mustang, Camaro, etc. they once owned and wish they still had. The only annoying ones here are the ones asking if I have had the car since new. (I was in 2nd grade when it hit the street).
I had that happen just the other day when I was driving my Mustang! Elderly gentleman at the gas pump asked what year my car was (my plate is "66 Pony", but did I mention he was elderly?), then asked me if I was original owner. Well, since the car was sold 12 days before I was born... no, I'm afraid the liberal financing didn't apply to unborn children.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts