Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone! I have a fellow gearhead buddy (a street rodder) here at the office and every Monday morning we compare notes about who accomplished what on their car's over the weekend. It keeps both of us motivated. So I'll open it up to all of you as well.

"Who worked on their cat this weekend and what did you accomplish?"

I finally got the motor out of the cradle and into the stand, disassembled everything that would come off down to the longblock and cleaned it in preparation for paint and detailing. I also got all the brackets, pulleys and accessories painted. I plan on painting the long block this coming weekend.

Mark

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I recharged my battery!!! Does that count?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I ran a new steel gas line right from the tank to the carb.

It was beautiful up here. Opened the garage door up, and let the sunshine in. It was great. :sun2:

Only 2 problems were 1) left my creeper sitting in the sun for an hour or so, and burned me a$$ when I sat back down. :flamer:
2) Made me want to take my Cat for a spin. :cry: Hopefully soon

·
Registered
269 Posts
1. Installed new heater core, and new heater box gasket kit. Cleaned out 36 years of bugs, leaves, and unidentifiables from defrost lines and heater box.

2. Installed new air filter and washed engine free of radiator fluid due to a loose heater hose from #1.

3. Installed "new" chrome piece on my rear passenger side fender extension.

4. Hooked up tranny kickdown linkage to the throttle arm. I always thought my shift point was messed up until I discovered the linkage had come undone.

5. Installed trunk Mercury script.

6. Set timing.

7. Performed wire management on my spark plug wires; straightened them and installed chrome wire separator clips.

8. Installed new voltage regulator

9. Sanded and sprayed rust inhibitor and undercoating in trunk and fender wells.

10. Rotated tires (rear passenger tire going bald for some reason, must be the open diff)

11. Attempted to perform hinge repair on passenger door. Determined that it is a two person job to hold and align door while tightening bolts. Now my door has rebuilt hinges and it hangs 1 inch lower than before :( Need to find a beautiful assistant :)

·
Registered
428 Posts
I got the cam and lifters out and drilled the battery tray loose.
Did some sanding on the engine compartment, but nowhere near done with that.

Cheers!
Matthijs

·
Registered
159 Posts
pulled off and installed new power steering pump and pulley. Tried to figure out power steering problems. Should have had beers like logan! :]
Rick

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
What I did

I painted my engine compartment on wednesday so by saturday I was ready to assemble.
I installed stainless brake lines, a power rack and pinion, disc brake conversion rear speakers and my heater box.
I have been restoring several components over the last 6 months or so and now it's time to put it back together. check out my progress here sort by latest

·
Registered
339 Posts
Fiddled around with an annoying lifter tap, need to fiddle some more. To nice of a weekend to be under a hood or under the car. went to park to get some sun and look at the opposite sex.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Torque converter & C6 installed.
Motor bolted in "permanent" with headers, ign wires, sparkplugs.
Water pump installed (experimenting with Tbird type).
Tore apart 9" open center section and installed power-trax locker with 3.25":1 gear set.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Geez. I wish I made progress I could identify, but not really.

1. I have the dashboard switch panel disassembled because I re-painted the face plate. If you can, you should pull the switches without removing the chrome buttons. If you pull the buttons, it may crack the mounting plate inside the switch where it attaches. Ask me how I know. I've glued the mounting plates, so I now have to reassemble each switch, and test.

2. I'm about to pull the lower dash out, so I took pictures for reference purposes in case I need help when I put it all back together. Snapped a few other pictures at the same time, so maybe I'll post. These are stored on the camcorder memory stick, so the resolution probably isn't great.

Steve C.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Does thinking about all things that need to be done count???

Bruce

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Of course it counts. It has taken me personally 4 years and 3 Cougars to get to this point.
Keep the faith!
Oh 1 more thing my AOD just arrived :D

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Backed them all out of the garage so I could sweep out the water from the torrential storm on Saturday night. Did the mandatory dusting (they're black) and went for a spin around the block.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
umm i drove the 69 and put a new vacuum modulator in it. shifts a hell of alot cleaner but still havent fixed the problem. umm cut a new hole in Sharkys hood to let the air out when its on the freeway. no AOD for now though so rebuilding the FMX and maybe taking the 69 to Modesto instead of a rental in May. lots of planning, thinking and money will be needed for everythng though lol. oh yeah, i spent all Saturday blocking a Fairlane out... does that count?

·
Registered
600 Posts
This weekend i fianlly decided to NOT sell my Cat (Triple Ginger 73 XR7) and begun a list of what i need to do to get her on the road , then the fun will begin. I have aluminum wp, intake and 4bb carb going on soon. My first concern is the rust on the door strike bolt. I will be addressing this with upmost importance!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I pulled the engine and transmission out of my cat this weekend. Major work ahead - I have a farily rusty old car. My first task is going to be some new fender aprons. I also managed to roll over one of my fingers with my creeper while reaching for a wrench. ZOINKS - that smarts!!! Glad spring is here.....

Lab Rat

·
Registered
588 Posts
I finally managed to and build the rear window/lower roof support the the retractible project I'm attempting. Learned how to use metal shrinker/stretchers in the process. :D

1 - 20 of 42 Posts