Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a eliminator for sale and want to see if it is in the registry as a way to double check the legitimacy and wasn't sure where to look.

thanks!

Jay

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Scott!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Jay,

I have replied to your email, but as general knowledge, this is the second time someone has asked me about this car recently. The vin 9F91H563654 can not possibly be an Eliminator because of the 351-2V engine code. There may be additional information on it in the National database.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Dave,

Thanks for the fast reply. I wasn't sure whether that was the case. I was looking on http://eliminator.mercurycougarregistry.com/avoid-clones/ and read the paragraph below as allowing for any engine option for the Eliminator package:
Engine Code:
<DL><DL><DD>While Eliminators could be ordered with any optional Cougar engine, there is one VIN engine code that guarantees a Cougar is an Eliminator. During the 1969 and 1970 model years, the G engine code identified a Boss 302 engine. Since Boss 302 engines were only available in Eliminators, a G engine code positively identifies an Eliminator.</DD></DL></DL>
But since the base engine was the 351W 2v, that wouldn't be an optional Cougar engine. My mistake. :bloated:

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Dave,

Thanks for the fast reply. I wasn't sure whether that was the case. I was looking on http://eliminator.mercurycougarregistry.com/avoid-clones/ and read the paragraph below as allowing for any engine option for the Eliminator package:
Engine Code:
<DL><DL><DD>While Eliminators could be ordered with any optional Cougar engine, there is one VIN engine code that guarantees a Cougar is an Eliminator. During the 1969 and 1970 model years, the G engine code identified a Boss 302 engine. Since Boss 302 engines were only available in Eliminators, a G engine code positively identifies an Eliminator.</DD></DL></DL>
But since the base engine was the 351W 2v, that wouldn't be an optional Cougar engine. My mistake. :bloated:
We will have to get that reworded to make it obvious that the "base" engine for an Eliminator was the 351-4V.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts