Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is concerning the white California plates with reflective paint.

The plates on my 91 are not very good looking anymore. I'd like to make them look like new. They are not dirty. The paint has thousands of tiny cracks and appears dirty. On Monday I waited at the DMV about an hour and a half and was disappointed to find out that I can't turn them in for new ones with the same number. For $19.00 I can get brand new plates with a new number.
I'd rather have my ugly original number than a clean different number.

Without going to jail and doing it there, how can I make them look like new? I know the paint is reflective and it's probably illegal to repaint it with anything different from what it was made with. Can you buy the correct legal reflective paint?
Is there anyone who restores the new style plates at a reasonable cost?

Maybe I'm better off with a messed up plate because it can't be photographed by speed/red light* detecting camera's as easily??? Don't want a ticket by mail.

*I don't run red lights

·
Premium Member
4,820 Posts
You can always commit a felony. Then you'll have all the time and resources you need to make the perfect plate! :icon16:

·
Registered
103 Posts
I know people down here who paint their own lic plates. so i think you can paint it your self as long as you have paint that wont chip off easily (paint and clear). i know it has to be the original colors also. too bad you wouldn't be able to paint it black and yellow. I did not know that cost went to 19.00 i paid 5.00 about 4 years ago for a new set. :beer:

·
Registered
784 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
you can turn yours into dmv and request a set of personalized plater with the same #--expensive , but dmv will give you 3 plates if you request them---
you can go to a street sign mfg and get some 3M silver/white reflective film(also expensive)with a little luck with a heat gun and a roller you could rework your blank so a sign painter can paint the state and letters--the back to dmv for a new month sticker---this is not easy
doctordesoto

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
If it's a fairly recent California plate the state name is not raised, so unless you are or know a good sign painter you're hosed. Also if it's a "sunrise" plate or has the "sesquicentennial" designation on it.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it's a fairly recent California plate the state name is not raised, so unless you are or know a good sign painter you're hosed. Also if it's a "sunrise" plate or has the "sesquicentennial" designation on it.

It's recent relative to 99% of the cars here, but it's not really recent compared to 80% of the cars on the road. It's a 1991. "California" is in raised letters unlike the more recent Ca. plates. I guess that's a good sign if I was to have it restored.
Thank you everyone for your help. This might be a little more trouble than I want to deal with at this time. I just wanted a decent plate to match my $1000.00 Maaco paint job. Before the paint job, the plate nicely matched my ruined flaked off clear coat.
I don't know why DMV won't allow me to have new plates that match the old. I did think of personalized plates with the same #, but that would force me to pay extra every year for registration, I think.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can always commit a felony. Then you'll have all the time and resources you need to make the perfect plate! :icon16:

I knew someone would say that. That's why I was sure to write

"Without going to jail and doing it there, how can I make them look like new?"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts