Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe a repost.... Anyway, found these pics on a German website. This is.... strange, I am sorry!

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Since the wait for parts can be excessive, I guess it's called parts pending...:lolani:

Jean

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
At first my thought was well better that than scrapped out. But after looking at the pics a bit more, I ain't so sure.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Well, it almost works... then again... eh... er... no, it doesn't. "Teal Phantom" ?!???!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
EXACTLY!! One needs to understand the craftsmanship involved in the red one to realize how much work really went into it. Yet he still retained all the visual characteristics that make it a Cougar and IMO improved upon it.

Granted it might not be everyone's taste in styling. But it in NO WAY deserves to be lumped together with the one at the start of this thread. THAT guy needed a photoshop artist to "sketch" out his ideas beforehand... so that he would know ahead of time that it just DOES NOT work. He took away two of the most significant styling cues that make an early Cougar what it is. And replaced them with pieces that do not fit visually nor do they even fit PERIOD! Look at all the gaps surrounding the headlights and taillights.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I like the red Cougar other then the dash looks to plain.
The trans am tail lights in the 69 almost work... Looks like an early 80's attempt at bad restomodding.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I wouldn't say that a Who's Responsible for this is always going to be bad. The red one looked great from the outside. Not nuts about
the dash. Yes a LOT of time and money went into the total build. He had a plan and a vision.But at least it did keep all things(exterior)
Cougar there. I like stock. I also like some retomod if not too heavy on the mod. But thats just me. I'm sure the owner of the first car thinks
it looks good. There's also some others that probablty told him how cool it looked too. That's what makes the Classic cars so much better
than the modern cars. They all take on the owners personality. Todays cars are pretty generic.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
The teal car was at a couple of our SoCal Cougar Club shows a few years back.

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
In my opinion restomoded cars will one day go out of style while stock looking cars will always stay in style because they define a year in history.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
In my opinion restomoded cars will one day go out of style while stock looking cars will always stay in style because they define a year in history.
Right on, catman!!
This statement is a true one IF the restomod owner chooses to leave the car untouched after finishing it with whatever styling cues are popular at the time. Since style cues or, dare I say it, "trends" evolve, so must a restomodded car to remain FRESH looking. While, I can agree that a stock resto can be considered done once and for all, restomods need constant updating. If the owner chooses to go that route. To each his own I say.

My car has gone through three different "looks" since I turned the first wrench on it in 1980.

But what's old is new again and eventually the older styled builds come back into fashion especially when found in a barn or a field abandoned someplace. Cars with straight front axles, jacked up a mile in the air with Cragar SS wheels, ladder bars and metalflake or lace paint jobs are all the rage with the retro crowd right now.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Ve have vays to make you talk!!!!

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
I love that red car - fantastic work

all he needed to do with the dash is to put a 7" screen in the middle with the vents below it (like Seans) and run the vents at the end vertically. Probably would have looked better if he dropped the console vertically and used a rallye clock to match the gauges

1 - 17 of 17 Posts