Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to rebuild my front suspension in a few weeks with new everything. I need to find out if the spring compressor I bought will work to remove the springs. Here is a pic:

It looks like the bolt is too long and might hit the spring perch before the spring is compressed. The TCCN suspension article references to a similar spring comp. with a smaller bolt. I even looked at the local parts store and their rental spring comp. is the same as mine. No small bolt.

So, I was thinking of a few things:
- Get a grip of grade 8 washers and toss them in where the other washers are at to space the bolt end back.
or
- Install the compressor upside down, so the bolt sticks out the shock tower hole. I would not be able to use a socket because the spring perch would be in the way. I would have to use a wrench.

Comments and suggestions please :confused:

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Mine is the same. I had to use it upside down(nut on bottem) It was a pain. I plan to get 2 more nuts and put them on the other end and pin the top one. Neal.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
could you get enough leverage on it to turn with a wrench ?

"I plan to get 2 more nuts and put them on the other end and pin the top one. "
No comprehendo. Please explain for the slow brain.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Crazycat - I think Harbor has those spring compressors for about $20. At that price I would measure and then cut the bolt to the desired length. Trying to use a wrench seems like it would take forever.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
I used that on my car too. Jack the car up, take the wheel off, put it on jack stands, then jack up the spindle. Put the comp. on bolt down, use a 15/16 or so wrench, and tighten. When you think you almost have it, jack the car up, it will lower the spindle and the coil will be able to come out. It will be easier to remove the coil cover, but not safe.

Please dont stand in direct front of the coil, it will put a hole in your chest if it comes loose, and make sure nobody is in flying vicinity, it will hurt them.

Good luck

Rick

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Badcatt, I have done what your talking about, but I welded the nut on. I think drilling the rod will weaken the rod too much and will break either the rod or the roll pin. mm

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tips guys.

Dark,
what is the purpose of jacking up the spindle, then raising the car to in turn lower the spindle? would it be faster to jack up the spindle, then just lower the spindle in stead of raising the car.

is that how I should install the compressor? (each hook on a different coil)

what is the best way to uncompress old coils and compress the new coils ? The TCCN article says to use a pickle fork wedged on a coil to keep the spring from turning.

Thanks for all of the help. I would rather not be hit by a flying spring.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
I guess after the spindle is jacked up and compressor tight, letting the jack on the spindle down probably wont let the spindle hang much. Jacking the car just gives it that free height.It was just a suggestion.

Rick

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dark,
Dont take it the wrong way bro, I was just being specific with my questions to make sure I dont launch a spring when I do this. Thanks for all of the help.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Hey, no problem, if you dont feel safe doing something, by all means use your head. Ive seen these things bust loose, not pretty.

·
Registered
163 Posts
It's not all too hard to change out the springs, just a little time consuming. To get the springs in the car compressed takes the least time as the weight of the car does a lot of the compressing for you. The replacement springs are the pain in the buttocks as you'll need to do all the compressing yourself.

With the typical compressors you can also save some headache by removing the "arms" once the spring is in the car and has some weight on it.

Having proper tools makes it easier of course - I just did it the hard way last week *grumble*

1 - 12 of 12 Posts