·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all love my car
but at times after years of working on the silly thing
you just want to ignore that thing under the car cover
because you know it needs some thing that you have already replaced or
there is some thing on the car that needs attention or is not working the way you want it to???
I know it's just not me
by the way mine needs:bloated: a new trans

Attachments

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I feel you.
I once kicked a very large dent in my driver's door for this very reason.

(I have anger management issues... that I kind of enjoy)

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
+1.....my 68 is on my "naughty" list currently...

·
Registered
442 Posts
Dr. Art, Mine is always in need of something, if I didn't drive it because it wasn't fixed, it would never see the street. LOL, I'm the other way, if I can't drive my car because it is just not feasible at the time because of work, I miss it, faults and all. Sal

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Does anyone think the no rib look on the taillights looks better than original? Just makes it look so clean to me...

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I like it either way - the ribs are a pita to deal with though....
I always look at it like this - it's not a daily driver for me, so when I get in the feeling of fed up with it, I just tuck it back in the garage and go fishing or whatever. There was a time I threw a wrench and it bounced right back through the open door pannel, through the glass and made a nice little "nipple" in the middle of a fresh painted door!! Shoulda walked away....

·
Registered
51 Posts
I love the tail lights. Been thinking about that look for awhile now. I'm sure the lights are easier to see in the sun now right?

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
I had a period in life when I ripped the car totally apart for it's second rebuild. I promptly sold off or gave away everything that I wasn't going to re-use. Then I lost my job for 11 months.

After finally landing my current job, It took me a whole nother year just to get back on my feet. During that 2 year period, I didn't even lift the cover on the thing once and I was secretly hoping the shop would burn down so I could just collect the insurance money and go and get another car that was complete and done.

As for the taillight treatment, I've considered that look for mine after seeing Steve-O's done that way a LONG time ago. But then I look at all of the other changes I've made and remember that my original goal was to do all the custom work yet retain the styling cues that are signature to a Cougar. IMO, the headlights and taillights are just that.

So, I'm still torn. I'd have to pick up another set of grills and cut them since my original ones are mint.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
at times after years of working on the silly thing
you just want to ignore that thing under the car cover
because you know it needs some thing that you have already replaced or
there is some thing on the car that needs attention or is not working the way you want it to???
I know it's just not me
by the way mine needs:bloated: a new trans
Yep - took me 12 years from tear down to back on the road. Many times it sat and lingered under the car cover. If you have an automatic go with an overdrive transmission. I replaced mine last winter with an AOD and this summers cruising was a new pleasure and gas mileage was way up too.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I hate the coug when it has a leak, which is not that often,knock on chrome. Don't care much for the headlights but I do like the taillights.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I love the tail lights. Been thinking about that look for awhile now. I'm sure the lights are easier to see in the sun now right?
I think they look great. Very "Shelby-esque", but not in a bad way.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Art,
My concern will be after a two year rebuild, what new parts or parts that I paid to have rebuilt won't work? I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Also, I like the tail lights ... but the mechanics of the front hidden headlights are something I'll hold onto. For Jenny's Eliminator project, I have an extra set of rear lights ... I might have to give that idea a shot and have it that way on the weekdays and the original way on the weekends.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Does anyone think the no rib look on the taillights looks better than original? Just makes it look so clean to me...
Yes me too I really like those tail lights!!! Very nice Cat. Are those the std 67 Shelby bezels for the tail lights?

My car always needs something and needs a full restoration besides. I do worry about replacement parts and their lifespan. Sorry to hear about the trans.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
they are aftermarket alum. bezels I got them from Brian at so.cal. cougar
so no spending hours hacking up old factory parts
they are made by a guy here locally but made the round trip to california and back.
just the way it worked out.
The front headlight doors were more for weight savings than effect.
Also have zero head light door headaches !!!
and yes the two pics are the same car.

Attachments

·
Registered
945 Posts
I havent gotten to the point yet as just recently getting back into the cat owners group. But I have as previosly admited to in the thread with anger management issues :evil: smacked the window getting agrevated trying to tint it myself on a past /X cougar and shattered the window. That was a $125 lesson :smoke:

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I guess I really shouldn't respond here, but other than not having the money or time (house projects, honey do lists) to work on the cougar, I can't really can't wait to work on the thing. It's like so many I have heard about that get a project and once it is finished, there board with it and don't want nothing to do with it, so they sell it. This I just can't understand. Maybe it's my upbringing, when we didn't have much, anything was much appreciated. So when I see even some here say, when some small thing has gone wrong with the car, they loose interest , I think, all the more reason to get some me time with the car. I must be odd compared to you all.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Oh brother....I've quit so many times I've lost count. When I first started racing the Cougar, I had "electric issues", the car would quit out on the track, I'd get towed in and sure enough it would fire...at the end of the second track day (again, die and run) I ripped the stock harness out of the car with my bare hands and left it in a trash can at Thunderhill. Let it sit there for a month, rewired the whole car in one day and have been running since....just one time in many...

·
Registered
173 Posts
I hate the coug when it has a leak, which is not that often,knock on chrome. Don't care much for the headlights but I do like the taillights.

haha I literally Laughed out loud. knock on chrome. lol.
Anyway,
Mainly while stripping my paint during the hot caliornia summer. that wasnt fun. Took me a few months because I hated it so much. And cleaning my steering parts during winter. I didn't have a fancy parts washer or anything. Just some degreaser and a wire brush with cold numb fingers. That took me forever too. Now I prefer to work smarter not harder. I should have just took them to a machine shop and paid them 40 bucks or so to just sand blast them really quick.

I also dont care much for the headlights. and I like the tail lights but i like the way the origional rib set up looks even better. nice car.

·
Registered
301 Posts
What a timely topic...... I got the XR7-G out to detail and prep for a show last week and it ran fine.... at first....after the cleaning (which did not involve a wash) it promptly started missing and sputtering, probably fouled plugs. I put it back in the shop, put the cover on it and took the GT-500 to the show instead. I'm really tired of carburation and the breaking of things already fixed. It's like a continual version of the "Hokey Pokey", for every step forward I make, I'm pushed back two by other crap breaking.......hard to stay motivated when your project fights you every step of the way

1 - 20 of 23 Posts