Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is THE best auto forum around!!The best advice,tips and help anywhere.Also some great old fashoned ribbing.O.K. enough of that .Here"s the question.Who has put the most miles on their cougar?I know that I will never make it to the top 10.I think I have only put about 500 on since July of last year.Are there any 100,000 mile forum members out there? Lets be honest now.:p: :p: Dan

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ive got 110,000 miles on mine (351W 2V, FMX), with a very straight body, but will rebuilding shortly. I've got 220,000 on my 89 bronco xlt, (hooked up 302 EFI, AOD) and i'm towing cars, and still dusting all the little sport compacts and mustangs...LOL. Will be rebuilding that shortly, once I get the cougar ss on the road in a month. !!!!

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Miles and miles...

I have put lots of miles on in cougars, I have the insterment cluster from my first 70 XR7 in badcatt, my 70 STD. I bought the first car in 1975. parted it out in 1980(old frame damage) and put the front sheet metal, engine, trans, wiring and interor in to a 69 std and made it look like a 70 Eliminator. That car was driven through out the 80s. I then parted that one out(rust) and put the wiring and insterments in to the car that became Badcatt. I drove Badcatt through out the 90s . I have put over 300,000 miles on that set of insterments. unfortunatly that was not on 1 car, but has been a fun journey.
Oh, we plan to put this set in to my sons 69 convertable and up grade to 70 the look. :D

·
Registered
364 Posts
100,000?

heck, most of the Cougars that are sold with "100,000" miles probably have at least 200,000 on them. you have to realize these are 30 year old cars! 200,000 miles is less than 7,000 miles a year on average. for the first ten or fifteen years, they weren't "classics," they were just cars. putting 10, 15, or 20,000 miles a year on them was nothing then.

and remember, the way odometers were made in the late 60s and early 70s, it wan't impossible to turn them back. a lot of the under-100k cars have a few more than advertised.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I certainly wouldn't be the winner.

My '68 has 87,000 documented miles (of

which i have put 800 since last year).

:1poke:

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'm with you crowlector. I have only 20,883 miles on my 70. let's see. Hmmmmmm thats 652 miles average. I would be a major loser in this contest.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
55,999 miles on it!

I've put 13,000 miles on my '72 XR7 in 8 years. It sat about 5 years. I bought it from the second owner which said it sat 5 years before I bought it. I found paperwork in the car that documents the low mileage. I guess, I loose this game. Oh, the odometer only slows 5 digits so, who knows!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
My car had 123,000 miles when I bought it off of the second owner in 1989, it only have 128,000 miles on it now so thats about 5000 miles in 12 years....lol Just over 400 miles a year!!! I plan on changing that, I'm going to be driving it every year unless something unpredictable happens.
John
wvcat

·
Registered
266 Posts
WVCAT: "Only has 128,000 on it" LOL But hell, 400 per year beats my 652. ha ha

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Yeah wvcat's a low miler....lol Of course not everyone can find cherry 20.000 mile cats sitting around....lol If I was to find a low mile car sitting somewhere it would be a 64 valiant 4 door with a dancing jesus on the dash!!!
John
wvcat

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey,

My 68 cougar has 187,310 miles on it, according to the odometer. But, I only put about 500 miles on it a year. My Dad, however, has 260,000 miles on his 92 Pontiac Grand Prix, that he drives from Escondido to Irvine, 5 days a week. Now thats insane!!!:eek2:

·
Registered
266 Posts
WVCAT. Your making me laugh so hard i think I just broke a rib.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
HEY!

WVcat,

Are you making fun of my 66 Comet? :1poke:

OK, so its a four-door sedan and painted that 'grandma frost green' that it seems like everybody's grandma had. At least it is a Caliente, so it is the 'luxury Comet' and has the better interior and a 289 automatic. You gotta remember that back then heaters were optional, along with the other niceties like the AM radio, carpet and many other things we take for granted these days.

I bought it off a little old lady on my mail route. Her mother bought it new in 66 and died in 69. Then the daughter got the car and was used as a grocery getter in a small burb for years until I bought it in 88 for $1100. Heck, it still had the 6.45-14 bias ply skinny tires on it! Well, two are the 6.45s, the other two are C-78-14s, but still the bias skinnies! 32,000 original miles. Perfect interior. Just a few parking lot dents. With a little TLC it would probably show better than the wife's 21k all original Mach 1 since the competition isn't as fierce in the intermediate class as the Mustang class.

Yes, the car is butt-ugly. Yeah, we got 'Boo'ed when we took it to a show once -- at the local circle track. Morons. They couldn't appreciate an unrestored, all-original classic. That crowd preferred the black 58 Chevy with the flames painted on, even though you'd get seasick from all the bondo waves in the body if you got any closer than fifty feet! :rolleyes: Anyway, the point is, somebody has to save the 'normal' cars -- even the four doors! Not every Comet was a Cyclone or two-door hardtop!

The Comet is sitting in the garage awaiting some upgrades. I wanted to go with a dual braking system for safety reasons (remember that the dual resevoir master cylinder didn't come out 'til 67 or 68!) As long as I'm doing that, I'm gonna do the Granada front disc brake swap. Then there's those skinny bias tires that make handling squirrelly...

Oh, almost forgot. No dancing Jesus on the dash! ;)

Cougrrcj

·
Registered
364 Posts
how many miles?

"Oh, the odometer only shows 5 digits so, who knows!"

Exactiment!

Any of these could have a 1, 2, 3, even a 9 in front of it and who'd know? "Documented?" I've seen documents that have been to the doctor.

Question: How many of you bought your car and the odometer reading space on the title was blank? Most classics are sold that way. The new owner usually protects his or her resale value by putting a 1 in the first position. Not many are brave enough to leave it at five digits, especially when the car looks like a wreck.

·
Registered
364 Posts
why are we so afraid of putting miles on our Cats?

We spend far more money on the Cougars than we our new cars, we know it isn't going to make us rich when we sell them, and most of us don't have concours quality show cars, so why do we shy away from driving them?

They're CARS, ferchissake, made to be driven. Maybe we think they're too old to be reliable?

·
Registered
266 Posts
73XR, you bring up a good point. I really don't try to keep miles off of my cat. I drive it any chance I get. I won't show it. I'ts probably worth more to me than anyone else. However, having a cat with only 20k is nice to start with when your tricking it out.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
My cat's mileage

Alpha Cat has 77,467 and Beta Cat has 81,311. That is their true mileage since I bought 'em back in the early 80s. That would be average mileage for their age at the time. Neither has been on the road in the last fifteen years.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mileage

My car has 186,000 on it. I've put 500 on it in 2 years I've had it. They get lot's more drive time on the west coast. As far as really high mileage, there is a guy who has a white 1967 Cougar in New England that probably has 500,000 on it now. It was over 400,00 when I saw it at a show several years. It is also a early build unit. It still looked pretty good for that kind of mileage.
I drive mine as much as I can. Unfortunately the weather and traffic in Detroit is a limiting factor. I've also driven my cars because that's why they have tires on 'em.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
I know that car, He was at the nationals here in 97, I do beleve it was First week of production car at that. 289 4 speed. For the miles, Nice. Neal.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts