Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Whitewalls vs. blackwall tires on chrome styled steel wheels?

• yes

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • no

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • are you nutz!

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • no opinion

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for some of the older guys. I'm putting the original crome wheels that might have came on my '68 STD Cougar. I'm keeping the tires I have... The question is... DID the factory Put whitewalls on these wheels? I saw a picture at a website that had a picture of the first '67 and it had the whitewalls on the chrome steel styled wheels. Now I know it may be a personal preference but I am trying to present a totally stock(out of the showroom) appearence. Any thoughts?
:confused:

·
Registered
102 Posts
A standard '68 Cougar would have come with the basic wheel covers and black sidewall E70 X 14 bias ply tires. Styled steel wheels would have been an option. Thin white sidewalls were a popular dress-up option, so there is a good possibility a car with styled steel wheels would also have been ordered with white sidewalls. If you want an authentic '60s look, go for the white sidewalls.

Also, you are correct about Cougar #1 haing styled steel wheels and white sidewalls. Since the first eight Cougars were built as show cars, you can assume that L-M dressed their first production Cat in the most popular style of the day.

Keep on Cattin'!

Steve

·
Registered
266 Posts
whitewalls

Why don't you go to TCCN. I was told they have all the information there.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Steve

Thanks for the info Steve. I am a member of TCCN and I think it's a great Site. Keep up the good work. BTW whitewalls it is!!!

Don:cool:

·
Registered
102 Posts
You are welcome, Don. Something I've said many times--and it is worth repeating here--is that decisions like you have made in this instance are purely a matter of personal choice. It is, after all, your Cougar and your money and effort that make its restoration possible.

By definition, a hobby is something in which we become involved for personal enjoyment. For each of us, the way in which we receive that enjoyment is slightly different. For some, like Don, the challenge that brings enjoyment is restoring our Cougars to their original appearance. For others, classic Cougars are a canvas on which we enjoy expressing our automotive creativity by making design and performance changes in keeping with our individual visions of what a classic Cat should be.

Whichever approach to our hobby an individual chooses, I applaud those who, like Don, take the time to carefully plan the execution of their restoration projects. That's what makes our hobby great.

Keep on Cattin'!

Steve

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
whitewalls

Well .......
Today is Saturday..... and.... Although many of you may disagree I went ahead and put the whitewalls on the outside. I thinkit looks pretty good.
(personel preference) pictures will be up soon.

one more thing..........COUGARS RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
whitewalls

In my never so humble opinion I too loike the whitewall look on classic catz.I run whitewalls on my catz or raised white letters. I think blkwalss look to plain on a classy car like a Cougar. Preference Everyone has one .Catz ya Ray

1 - 7 of 7 Posts