Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of someone that makes the "White Face Gauge Overlay Kits" to fit a 73 Cougar XR7? I have a 73 XR7 Convertible and have a real hard time to see my gauges in the sunlight leave alone a night. I know a few years back there was some available for the earlier Cougars, but have never seen any for the 71-73's. Any help or info is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I haven't seen any white-face overlays for 73's - just another place where the "Big Cats" aren't (yet) getting the attention.

Having helped an acquaintance take apart his instrument cluster to install overlays; I can say it would be just as easy to get one of the 'LED kits' to replace the standard incandescent bulbs in the cluster. With them, the car only looks "un-original" at night (because the black-face gauges are suddenly so much easier to read!)

·
I thought I changed this?
1,213 Posts
You mean like these ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971-73-Mercury-Cougar-LED-Gauge-Cluster-Conversion-Kit-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem230e5a46e0QQitemZ150564652768QQptZVintageQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Two bucks, I don't know if he'll be able to help you, but try dropping Bob a line at RCCI.
I'm not aware of him doing white face dials, but he may be able to give you some pointers.

http://www.rccinnovations.com/

Bob's a world renowned authority on gauges, and if he doesn't know, nobody will :wave:

I don't know if he'll have white face dials, but may be able to give you some pointers.
I haven't seen any white-face overlays for 73's - just another place where the "Big Cats" aren't (yet) getting the attention.

Having helped an acquaintance take apart his instrument cluster to install overlays; I can say it would be just as easy to get one of the 'LED kits' to replace the standard incandescent bulbs in the cluster. With them, the car only looks "un-original" at night (because the black-face gauges are suddenly so much easier to read!)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, I've seen the LED kits. but actually have just as hard a time to see my gauges in the sunlight as well as at night so I'm more in the market for the White Face Overlays. I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks Again!

Gary

·
Registered
8,194 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Yup, those are the ones.
twobucksll said:
Thanks for the info, I've seen the LED kits. but actually have just as hard a time to see my gauges in the sunlight as well as at night so I'm more in the market for the White Face Overlays.
??? Maybe it's time to look for a replacement clear plastic lens assembly for the car? No troubles seeing my gauges in daylight; although I know the lens IS a bit more "hazy" than it had been on my '73 Gran Torino (Same style "sunken" gauges). Then again, my Torino WAS only 7 years old when I bought it; and that WAS 31 years ago! I'd driven my XR7 more than a couple times when it belonged to its previous owner, both day and night. In fact, the last time I ever drove it on the road was at night; after which I told him he'd better "park it" and address the main bearing knock before he destroyed the block. Yes the gauges were hard-to-read; but that was because the backlighting was so dim.

Last I looked, rktmn wasn't making ANY overlays in any color for the 71-2-3''s. But, as quattro said, it doesn't hurt to ask!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your input. I've actually go a hold of an extra gauge cluster and sent it off to whitegauges.net to have a set of custom white faces made. Thanks to Bob (The Rocketman) of RCCI for providing a clock face for me. I’ll let you know how I make out once I hear back. My cougar is still in winter storage so probably won’t be able to post any pictures until late April or May.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally got my custom overlays installed, whitegauges.net did a great job making them, they look awesome! I've only had the car out on the road a couple of times, but they seem so much easier to read.

Gauges 1-B.jpg Gauges 1-A.jpg Gauges 2-B.jpg Gauges 2-A.jpg

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
They DO look nice, but....
Maybe it's just all the simulated 'burlwood' and the deep black guage 'sockets'; but I'm just not feeling the white faces set in that panel. The other thing I noticed is that your lens assembly is indeed quite hazy.... maybe a replacement? Another idea I'm kicking around is trying one of the "plastic headlight lens renewal" products. I used one on my F150 headlights and the results were great.

One thing I've noticed is that my old(er) eyes are starting to appreciate the bright orange guage needles, as opposed to white needles on a black background.. Whether I send my sheckels to Bob or try my own hand by replacing the ammeter with an aftermarket voltmeter in the orig housing; ALL those needles will have an appointment with a fine brush and a bottle of Testors orange model paint before I'm done. Of course, my abilities in 'graphic arts' are only slightly better than my ability to speak Swahili (or Spanish or French, for that matter); so I'm thinking Bob will get my ammeter core and my money, if only to get his Voltmeter overlay.
In black.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
They DO look nice, but....
Maybe it's just all the simulated 'burlwood' and the deep black guage 'sockets'; but I'm just not feeling the white faces set in that panel.

I had the same feeling when I did mine in my XR-7. The white faces didn't work with the woodgrain... at least when you consider the overall look of the rest of my car. I changed that over to gunmetal grey and was really glad I did.

http://www.mercurycougar.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2156/title/gauge-cluster/cat/all

1 - 12 of 12 Posts