Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to get my daughter's 1967 Cougar XR7 289/4V running after ~ six years in garage. After removing the spark plugs and squirting Kroil into each cylinder, I put in a new Optima Redtop battery and tried to crank it over with all plugs out - nothing! Starter not getting any juice, no clicking from starter relay - nothing at all. All lights & turn signals work OK. I'll check fuses of course.

I plan to replace the starter relay and voltage regulator, since both are old, likely culprits, and inexpensive. But I read threads about voltage regulators with different amp ratings, and the importance of matching the VR to the alternator. My best guess is that this car needs a 55-amp, C5TF voltage regulator, but I'm not sure. This car is an automatic with AC & PS; alternator has single-groove pulley. The existing VR just has "Wells" stamped on its cover, plain unpainted cover, riveted enclosure - probably not the original.

Appreciate any advice.

Bob

·
Registered
270 Posts
Maybe an obvious question, are you sure the motor is able to turn freely w/ a breaker bar or by hand?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm trying to get my daughter's 1967 Cougar XR7 289/4V running after ~ six years in garage. After removing the spark plugs and squirting Kroil into each cylinder, I put in a new Optima Redtop battery and tried to crank it over with all plugs out - nothing! Starter not getting any juice, no clicking from starter relay - nothing at all. All lights & turn signals work OK. I'll check fuses of course.

I plan to replace the starter relay and voltage regulator, since both are old, likely culprits, and inexpensive. But I read threads about voltage regulators with different amp ratings, and the importance of matching the VR to the alternator. My best guess is that this car needs a 55-amp, C5TF voltage regulator, but I'm not sure. This car is an automatic with AC & PS; alternator has single-groove pulley. The existing VR just has "Wells" stamped on its cover, plain unpainted cover, riveted enclosure - probably not the original.

Appreciate any advice.

Bob
I have a 351c in my cougar and a stock alternator and I just went down to NAPA and asked for a VR and the one they gave me was plug and play, seems to work fine with the stock ALT ;)

·
Registered
205 Posts
i found napa has two different voltage regulators for my 70 351w. what i've found that works for me is solid state voltage regs. their listing show it for a 73 351w. i use solid state on my 67 289 and 70. when they go they go, no fooling with gaps point burn etc or any adjustments. plug and play.

it's just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Standard Motors VR166 or VR166X. Also Motorcraft GB540B.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found these solid state voltage regulators on the Mustangs Depot site. Appreciate feedback on whether they'd be a good fit for my daughter's 67 Cougar R7-289-4V-AC-PS car. As I said, I'm not sure which alternator is in this car, guessing 55amp. I'm not an electrical giant; not sure about what attributes I need in a voltage regulator. Seems the 100amp model would suffice, but not sure that more is better in this application.

http://mustangdepot.com/onlinecatalog/Electrical/voltage_regulators.htm

Other suggestions appreciated as well. Other things being equal, I'd prefer to get a solid state voltage regulator. If my daughter is picky about it, I could get one of the original-appearing covers for it.

Bob

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I found these solid state voltage regulators on the Mustangs Depot site. Appreciate feedback on whether they'd be a good fit for my daughter's 67 Cougar R7-289-4V-AC-PS car. As I said, I'm not sure which alternator is in this car, guessing 55amp. I'm not an electrical giant; not sure about what attributes I need in a voltage regulator. Seems the 100amp model would suffice, but not sure that more is better in this application.

http://mustangdepot.com/onlinecatalog/Electrical/voltage_regulators.htm

Other suggestions appreciated as well. Other things being equal, I'd prefer to get a solid state voltage regulator. If my daughter is picky about it, I could get one of the original-appearing covers for it.

Bob
Sure, get the 100 amp one if you want to overpay for a Motorcraft regulator. I've seen the GB540 for sale at around $33 and I cleared several off eBay for $17 a piece. Here is Amazon. Rock Auto is 31.79 for the VR166 and a good version too.
http://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-GR540B-New-Alternator-Regulator/dp/B000C5DM6M/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1344484474&sr=8-4&keywords=motorcraft+voltage+regulator

1 - 7 of 7 Posts