Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to build a sort of good handling daily/drag cougar build on a budget. For the rear suspension I was planning on KYB gas adjust shocks, mustangs plus cougar 5 leaf or 4 1/2 leaf mid eye leaf springs, and global west Del-A-Lum bushings. I've heard as a general rule of thumb you can go up a full leaf from stock, but when looking at forums there was a 50/50 split between people who think 4 1/2 leaf and people who think 5 leaf is best. Their also seems to be a split between people who like Del-A-Lum bushings and people who think they are to harsh for daily driving and can tear up the car due to not allowing side to side movement. Please let me know what set up you suggest

·
11,000 Posts
Personally I like the stock rubber bushings. I would get springs from ESPO if you want the ride height to be what you expect. KYB shocks are cheap offshore units. Many better brands are available, KONI is one of the best, Maier (Bilstein) are also good. 5 Leaf springs will be a lot stiffer. A rear sway bar from Addco will help a lot with handling but so will good quality tires.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've ridden in my cousin's 73 comet with 4 leaf mid eyes (upgraded from 3), KYBs, and polyurethane bushings and my uncle's 69 Mach with 5 leaf mid eyes, KYBs, and polyurethane. I love the way these ride I just wasn't sure if I wanted to deal with polyurethane or get the softer 4 1/2 leafs with the expensive del-a-lum bushings.

·
11,000 Posts
No, the Cougar shares rear suspension with the Fairlane / Comet / Torino / Cyclone so spring lengths, bushing diameters, everything is different from Mustang. The Cougar uses a set of rubber Iso - clamps over the spring leaves along with cast iron wedges to effect pinion angle. Totally different than Mustang.

·
11,000 Posts
Certainly a great source for Cougar parts of any sort.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am trying to build a sort of good handling daily/drag cougar build on a budget. For the rear suspension I was planning on KYB gas adjust shocks, mustangs plus cougar 5 leaf or 4 1/2 leaf mid eye leaf springs, and global west Del-A-Lum bushings. I've heard as a general rule of thumb you can go up a full leaf from stock, but when looking at forums there was a 50/50 split between people who think 4 1/2 leaf and people who think 5 leaf is best. Their also seems to be a split between people who like Del-A-Lum bushings and people who think they are to harsh for daily driving and can tear up the car due to not allowing side to side movement. Please let me know what set up you suggest
For spirited street driving, I would keep the rubber bushings except on the sway bar end links.
On a '69 Cougar with a 351W, upgrade to the 15/16" (1" max) front bar and 8356 front springs.
On the rear use 5/8" or 11/16" rear bar (Stam-Bar) to match the 15/16" or 1" front bar. I have found the 3/4" or 7/8" Addco rear bars to be too stiff. On slow hard corners, they tend to lift the inside wheel, making it spin the tire.
Check the thickness of the Mustangs Plus Cougar springs: they should be .300" for each leaf for a '69. Mustangs are only .280". The 4 1/2 mid-eye is a good compromise between stiffness and reduced wheel hop.
The original "GT" springs are each .320" thick. For drag racing, you might want the .3" leafs, so the rear will squat.
Check with Royce about that - all my experience is auto-x and road racing.

I like the KYB gas-adjust shocks on my '70 convertible 351C - which is a highway cruiser. I love the Koni shocks on my '68 BB car but the stiffness causes every bump and rut to be felt. But they worked great at the auto-x.
Unfortunately, no one makes the correct length shock for the Cougar rear anymore. KYBs are close (1" short) but Mustang Koni's (2" short) require custom extensions to be made. Since the Koni shocks are metric, a 10mm bottoming tap must be run into 3/8-24 2" extensions. The Aussie Falcon Koni rear shocks are the correct length but much stiffer. I have not tried the adjustable drag or QA1, Viking, or Bilstein/RCD shocks.

Upgrade the wheels/tires, and these sway bars, springs, and shocks will make a very noticeable difference on the street!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts