Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang<

First thanks for all your support since I registered- you've been great.

I bought a new Edlebrock 500 preformer carb for my 351c 73XR7. I am planning to put it in this spring. What are your recommendations for a matching intake? Should I go with an Ed. Performer for 2v, The Holly street Dom- yes I can get one.
Also I can get a 2v intake from the fellow that is selling me the aussie heads. So I got the head and Carb- just need to match all to an intake. Thanks,

Ed

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Probably the matching Performer would make a nice combination since they are built for Edelbrock carbs. At 500 cfm's you probably don't need the Aussie....or if you are getting Aussie heads you might want to think about more carb, at least 600cfm with the higher compression. But who can afford the premium fuel anymore? just my 2 cents

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
My buddy Keith used to run a Holley Street Dominator on his 351C with 2V heads. Actually, the port size of the SD intake is a bit larger than a two barrel port and a bit smaller than a four barrel port size. I also believe the SD is a single-plane intake whereas the Performer is a dual plane. Generally, the dual plane is better for street use, and the single plane is for high-rpm use with a loss of low end torque.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So do you believe that I could run the matching performer manifold and the 500 CFM carb with the Aussie heads and have a better match than the same setup with a larger 625 edelbrock- I am truly pining for the Aussie heads.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Incidentally, I have not made any consideration for an other than stock cam. If I upgrade the cam to something just over stock what do you recommend? I want to have a sleeper that can walk-the-walk without advertising.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I have no first hand experience with Aussie heads. But, from what I've heard, the compression is so high that you may need to utilize water injection. If you are going to go through this much trouble, you may as well spend the extra money to purchase a cam, carb and exhaust sytem, properly sized to take advantage of the increased flow of the Aussie heads. Otherwise, the Aussie heads are not worth the effort.

If you just want to add some spunk to a street cruiser, aim for a mild cam (see previous cam thread for sizing opinions), a 600-650 cfm carb and a dual plane intake (like the Edelbrock Performer), and you'll be set to have some fun.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Dont forget to run dual exhaust so the intake can run to its full potential. Id go with a dual plane and a 750VS Holley, good set of headers and duals, and a cam around 216/[email protected] That would definately walk the walk :)

Rick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts