Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently bought an Edelbrock Performer intake #2181 for my '70 XR7 convertible. I've installed intakes a dozen times, but never on a Ford, so I was doing a little reading and I see that my engine is one that has 16 intake bolts whereas the Performer has 12 intake bolts. The instructions say to use "16-bolt Ford gaskets" but this doesn't make sense to me. If the extra bolts aren't needed then why would you need the different gasket? Edit: I should mention that I searched Summit Racing for FelPro 16-bolt gaskets and didn't find anything.
My intake came with free Edelbrock gaskets as a promotion from Summit Racing, should I just install it with the 12-bolt gaskets and forget about it? To add to the problem I am living in Norway so I can't just run down to the corner auto parts store and pick up a different set.
Thanks!
Jeff
'70 XR7 convertible, 351W/FMX, Competition Orange/black interior

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
12 bolts - just use regular small block gaskets 289-302-351W should all work. Just be sure to watch bolt lengths and don't use the longer ones in the wrong holes! You can blow through into a water jacket in the head if you do..follow the torque sequence too, it easy to have leaks due to un-even torque that skews the position of the intake in realtion to the heads.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts