Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a transmission fluid change and I wasn't sure what to buy?? Is there a fluid that I should use in my FMX?

Thanks, Michael

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I´m not sure what was used on FMX, but pull the dipstick and see what is written on that, they are usually marked with what type of oil the factory recommended

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Originally, FMX would use 'Type F'. But that is getting real hard to find these days since just about all Fords since 1980 use Dexron/Mercon III, IV or V.

If the trans has been rebuilt just about any time since the mid '80s, those friction materials and seals are made for Dexron/Mercon.

Chime in you trans guys if my memory is foggy on this...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a stock tranny, a virgin never touched.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Then its Type F. If you find it at the auto parts store, buy a case, because it is getting harder to find. Remember that the power steering system, if stock, uses type F fluid as well.
It's a stock tranny, a virgin never touched.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Originally, FMX would use 'Type F'. But that is getting real hard to find these days since just about all Fords since 1980 use Dexron/Mercon III, IV or V.

If the trans has been rebuilt just about any time since the mid '80s, those friction materials and seals are made for Dexron/Mercon.

Chime in you trans guys if my memory is foggy on this...
I'm going to thread-jack this since Michael69 got his answer. I have a C6 transmission which the previous owner had rebuilt in 2005. I have the invoice, which doesn't say anything about fluid type - all it says is "stock rebuild." Any way of knowing for sure which ATF should be used. I haven't driven much yet - still tying up the loose ends - but I always thought the shifts were a little firm when I did drive. I attributed that to the R-servo but now you guys got me thinking, cuz I used Type F.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to thread-jack this since Michael69 got his answer. Type F.
Type F fluid is not avalable in my area so I didn't get it answered MrEos ! I would like to know if Dexron/Mercon III, IV or V which is the next best thing?

Michael

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Type F fluid is not avalable in my area so I didn't get it answered MrEos ! I would like to know if Dexron/Mercon III, IV or V which is the next best thing?

Michael
My understanding is that Dexron/Mercon is slippery-er, and you'll get slipping if you use it where Type F is specified. I didn't realize the stuff was getting scarce... it's in all my local chain stores. Can you get type FA? That's a compatible substitute.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Type F could be called straight transmission fluid. All other fluids have friction modifiers in them and therefore could result in poor shift quality. This should be used in an original transmission. In a rebuilt transmission it could be tougher to figure out if you weren't the one over seeing the rebuild. In the rebuilt the Type F wouldn't hurt as you only get firmer shifts. There are those who use Type F in their Torqueflite 727 transmissions even though specs call for ATF+2, ATF+3, or ATF+4 which all have friction modifiers. The reason... firmer shifts they tell me.

Around me I can walk into any auto store and find Type F from private label up to name brand.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll have to look around and see what I can find on Type F and straight transmission fluid, I just don't recall seeing Type F.
Thanks for your help on this.

The transmission takes 5 qts right?

Thanks again, Michael

·
Registered
936 Posts
Chain auto parts stores have on line sites and they do list it and will ship Type F.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Around five quarts for a filter change, but total capacity is more like 10-12 quarts depending on the type of trans and size of the torque converter...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys that's all great info.

Michael

1 - 16 of 16 Posts