Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Which 67-73 Cougar is the most historically significant?

• Cougar One

Votes: 31 38.8%
  • the GT-E

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • the XR-7G

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • the Eliminator

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • the Ford of Canada Cougar

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • the Eddie Schartman Cougar

Votes: 4 5.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like the question says. I wanted to list a whole bunch of VIN specific cars but I had neither those numbers on hand or the amount of poll options. So, make sure you vote in the poll...and let's have a discussion about it too!

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I say the Eliminator. It may not get quite the GT-E kind of money (with some exceptions of course), but with the subject of significance being the point, id say that the Eliminator has the most weight behind the name. It was also the image that gave the Cougar the "muscle car" image that the GT-E or pretty much any 67/8 model couldnt give. 67/8s were great cars and beasts in their own right of course, but they had more of the european image going on than the balls out muscle car image going for them. E-Cats put it right there with the Mach1's, 442's, GTO's, Formula's and Super Sports in the late 60's.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
good pints, sixt9

Henry Fords special order 69 cj car should be listed.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Is there a good site on the Ford of Canada Cougar ? I have been around Cougars since 1976 and never heard of an important Cougar made for Canada.:redface: Mark

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
The first Cougar demonstrated that pony car performance and luxury could be had at what was then a near-luxury price. It gave Lincoln-Mercury an image car outside the family sedan size as well as an entree into Trans-Am.

Everything that came after, while important in it's own right, built or expanded on that first successful Cougar.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I voted for the GT-E because its was a "super muscle car" on a pony car platform LONG before the Hemi Cuda and Boss 429. Plus the fact that the GT-E was a production 427 car irritates the hell out of the Mustang guys searching for their Holy Grail (or should I say Unicorn) W-code '68.

However, I would definitely have voted for one of the Bud Moore '67 Trans Am Cougars if you had provided the option. As the dominant car in Trans Am that year, it put the Cougar on the map as a no-excuses performance car, plus it was the best looking race car ever built. At least in my opinion....

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
I normally don't vote on things like this. But I have to agree with Bill and say Cougar One. It laid the platform for all that followed after.

·
Registered
748 Posts
You could make a case for any of these cars but I voted for the Eliminator because it was the one that was the most visible to the public. The other cars have a lot of significance but aren't very well known to people outside of the Cougar community.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Cougar 1 as a single vehicle is about as good as it gets. There is no other single vehicle that is as important. It has a few things that were really unique, like the walking cat trunk lock cover, that also add to its unique character.

The meaning of "historical significance" usually revolves around how the the course of history changed. So when we look for the significance of the Cougar, we are really talking about the way it changed the course of automotive development. A single vehicle is probably not able to cause this kind of paradigm shift.

If we are talking Cougar in general, then I think that the 1967 XR7 is probably the most important. The Cougar idea was never about ultimate performance, it was about a blend of sophistication AND performance. The XR7 introduced a lot of luxury features into a compact sporty package. Leather interior, V8 power, Full instrumentation, and lots of comfort and convenience features all were unheard of in a small car, until Cougar XR7.

I think Detroit latter lost its way turning the Cougar into a Personal Luxury car, losing the sporting feel, but it did pave the way for a luxury in a smaller package.

The GT-E pushed the performance idea to an extreme, and it did not sell. The Eliminator helped bolster the performance image. Neither sold in the kind of numbers that caused the industry to want to jump on board. The XR7 did.

My personal belief is that the XR7-G could have really moved the needle if it were not still born. It is basically the Cougar idea on steroids. The XR7-G was to the Cougar what the Shelby was to the Mustang: the basic idea taken to a higher plane. Had the Shelby stayed mostly about performance, and the XR7-G been sold on luxury plus performance, they both might have carved out unique parts of the market. Instead, the Shelby became the Luxury Sport version of the Mustang. I believe that the Shelby story became muddled when this occurred, but that it reinforces my contention that the XR7 proved that combining luxury with performance in a compact package would sell, and Shelby jumped on that proposition.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
The Cougar sitting in my garage for the last 30 years is most historically significant to me.

·
Premium Member
4,095 Posts

·
10,981 Posts
I think this car should make the list. If it existed, which it doesn't, it would be a car with known racing heritage, and a factory modified car, the only one ever built with a 289-8V engine by Mercury.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I have to say, I agree with Bill. XR-7 was "luxury, power, and styling for the every-man". It started almost from the beginning (later '67 intro, iirc) and stuck with the Cougar through the decades. The G and GTE, Eliminator and Boss429 cars are examples that are almost unknown to non-enthusiasts. But anyone who knows what a Cougar is has heard the term XR-7 (ok, they probably don't know much beyond the name, but at least they know the name!). It is kinda like how every 302 is a BOSS - every Cougar is an XR-7, LOL!

Cougar 1 as a single vehicle is about as good as it gets. There is no other single vehicle that is as important. It has a few things that were really unique, like the walking cat trunk lock cover, that also add to its unique character.

The meaning of "historical significance" usually revolves around how the the course of history changed. So when we look for the significance of the Cougar, we are really talking about the way it changed the course of automotive development. A single vehicle is probably not able to cause this kind of paradigm shift.

If we are talking Cougar in general, then I think that the 1967 XR7 is probably the most important. The Cougar idea was never about ultimate performance, it was about a blend of sophistication AND performance. The XR7 introduced a lot of luxury features into a compact sporty package. Leather interior, V8 power, Full instrumentation, and lots of comfort and convenience features all were unheard of in a small car, until Cougar XR7.

I think Detroit latter lost its way turning the Cougar into a Personal Luxury car, losing the sporting feel, but it did pave the way for a luxury in a smaller package.

The GT-E pushed the performance idea to an extreme, and it did not sell. The Eliminator helped bolster the performance image. Neither sold in the kind of numbers that caused the industry to want to jump on board. The XR7 did.

My personal belief is that the XR7-G could have really moved the needle if it were not still born. It is basically the Cougar idea on steroids. The XR7-G was to the Cougar what the Shelby was to the Mustang: the basic idea taken to a higher plane. Had the Shelby stayed mostly about performance, and the XR7-G been sold on luxury plus performance, they both might have carved out unique parts of the market. Instead, the Shelby became the Luxury Sport version of the Mustang. I believe that the Shelby story became muddled when this occurred, but that it reinforces my contention that the XR7 proved that combining luxury with performance in a compact package would sell, and Shelby jumped on that proposition.

·
10,981 Posts
I guess you could call it that. It was built with off the shelf parts from the Shelby Cougar parts catalog.

Was that the factory built homologation special?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow, a 9 year old thread getting resurrected! If I could change the poll to reflect a more robust selection I would. I'd probably throw the HF II XR-7S, the lone '68 non-GT-E 427 and the Trans-Am cougars, but I was a young pup back then who didn't know as much as I do now...

·
Registered
242 Posts
I feel Cougar 1 started it all. But you left out Convertible's first started in 1969 and 428 CJ SCJ Cougar's AND the big one is the Boss 429 Cougar

1 - 20 of 22 Posts