Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My son has a 70 Ranchero with a 351C. We rebuilt a few years ago back to stock specs. It was originally a 2V so it has 2V heads and a 4V intake for 2V heads. We put a 80457 600cfm holley on it. Don't remember where I got it but I don't like it one bit. We've had it rebuilt twice and it just does not seem right. Yes factory Holley kits were used. I can't get the electric choke to do it's job when cold. The car sputters like a pig and blows out black unburnt gasoline all over the driveway when it's cold. Once it warms up it actually runs decent but when I step on it, I just don't think the vacuum secondaries are opening up.

With that said, I have a Edelbrock afb on my 70 351C and I love it. What are your thoughts on getting the right carb onto this car. It's not a hot rod, we want it to start up and drive without spewing and when we jump on it, we want it to go.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Cheers
Zoli

·
11,000 Posts
Zoli,

What about timing? The symptoms you are relating sound like the timing is retarded, not carburetor problems.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Royce. I will check it in the morning. Manual says 6 btc. I will see what it's set at. I appreciate the suggestion!!

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
exactly the same symptoms on my 351C 4V - except there is no hesitation once it is warm.

Ran like a pig with 750 holly and single plane manifold. It runs great with 600 holley with vacuum secondaries and dual plane manifold and Acel electronic distributor - once warm.

It does pump a lot of unburnt fuel out when the choke is on and it took a while to get the choke adjusted. Doesn't want to accelerate cleanly until warmed up - and it looks like it is dumping too much fuel in when cold.

We had it on the dyno to tune secondaries and try and cure the cold start problem but I think the cam is too big to get any better low temp driveability.

Do you still have all the cold start smog stuff on the engine. On the 77 it gives full vacuum when cold, rather than ported vacuum, and that might be giving you too much advance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts