Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
BUT, when you step on the brakes, they are all supposed to come on at once, not both sides sequence from the inside-outside.

FWIW, T-birds used sequentials before Cougars did. AND the sequential taillights were used on Cougars through '73.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
The first time I remember seeing them was on a T-Bird.

BUT, when you step on the brakes, they are all supposed to come on at once, not both sides sequence from the inside-outside.

FWIW, T-birds used sequentials before Cougars did. AND the sequential taillights were used on Cougars through '73.

·
Registered
210 Posts
older cats and older chargers have the best tail lights. even the new challengers look awesome!

·
Registered
210 Posts

On my 68 when I had the hazard flashers on all lights blinked, if I turned the turn signal on at the
same time they sequentialed from the inside out.... My 69-70 doesn't do that. Of course my 68 had
wiring issues.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I would say the 68 cougar!! Reason I got one, My dad will tell you it was the 62 Mercury Monterey he had with the big ole fins and long taillight lenses! Have never seen one of them in a long time!

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Speaking of sequentials -- I see that starting in 2010 the Mustang GTs have sequentials. Has anybody looked into the feasibility of using that sequencing setup on our Cats?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On my 68 when I had the hazard flashers on all lights blinked, if I turned the turn signal on at the
same time they sequentialed from the inside out.... My 69-70 doesn't do that. Of course my 68 had
wiring issues.
On mine the hazard flashes the center bulb only on each side but if either turn signal is on at the same time then both sides sequence. Read a article that referred to them as "Victory Lights". Good term for the feature. I think this is what the vid is showing rather than break lights.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
On mine the hazard flashes the center bulb only on each side but if either turn signal is on at the same time then both sides sequence. Read a article that referred to them as "Victory Lights". Good term for the feature. I think this is what the vid is showing rather than break lights.
YUP! both my 68's did that. Hazard + either left or right turn = both sequences at the same time.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
i have to say the 63-65 tbird and our 67-70 cats, the shelbys are a copy cat per say. i can look at the 10 stangs parts list and see how they sequence. however they(aftermarket) make a kit for the 05-09 with a dynamite stick in them to do the same .

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I agree with Yogi. 59 Cadillac is a real contender.

I'm going to include the taillight grill, OK?
Speaking of Cougars only
#1 1970 Eliminator
#2 1970 non Eliminator
#2 XR7 S
#3 GT-E
#4 all 69's
Tied at 5 1967 & 1968 non S/E

71 and later, no comment.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
There are so many nice taillights, but to me very few beats those on a 59 Mercury Park Lane.

59tail.jpg

·
Registered
1,302 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
There are many nice choices for tail lights but the 67-68 cougars are the best for me. The lenght of the lights and the grille covers look good day or night. Second place is a tie for me between Acura NSX and 59 Cadillac.
Steven

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
not mentioned here is another sexy one! the 63 64 galaxies with the star in the center of the round lamp!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Emergency flashes center bulbs only on my 68. Emergency + left/right blinker sequences both sides simultaneously. Very cool. Never knew this until I read this thread.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
lOl - How often would you really try that though!? I think the article really hit a good chord around here huh? One of those topics that rarely comes up, but is fun to kick around just one aspect of styling and see what really turns heads...I like our cats first, then the 69 Charger, 70/71 Cuda, 59 caddy is pretty sweet too. Some of the newer stuff has finally began to be attractive too - Challenger, NSX, Shelby....hope the trend continues. We should talk about headlights in a new thread.....cuz that is a whole new ballgame - XKE Jag is one that jumps to mind.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts