Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Awhile back I ordered a custom made camshaft for my car as I was fed up with the 1975 Crane Fireball cam. It was simply too much for the engine and C4 combo even if I did get it to run decently at 15 degrees initial.

So the cam came in and the tear down began. Everything was absolutely spotless under the intake. As soon as I took the timing cover off I saw why flames shot out of the carb that first time in 1975. The cam dowel was pointing up instead of down towards the crank. Removed the front of the grille assembly to slip out the old cam carefully with no problem. Slipped in the new cam no problem. Put the front back together very carefully so there would be no leaks of any kind. Then adjusted the valves, using 1.60 roller rockers, three times to be sure. Then the intake went on after painting. Placed the Autolite 4100 on, as I dumped the Edlebrock, and fabbed a new fuel line and the hot air system for the choke. The car then sat.

Never got the time to start her up with a little one running around all the time when off. So I took today off and set about filling up the carb with fresh fuel and checking the rotor position. Time to start and the first thing I get is a big spark from the + termonal of the battery. Make the connection more snug and crossed my fingers. This part always makes me nervous hoping there are no issues so the engine gets up to speed right away. Well, she fired up right away and I got her quickly up to 2000-2500 rpm for 25 minutes. As she ran the engine smoothed out nicely and then shut her down.

Time to check under the hood. Minor leak at fuel pump fitting below. Check. Minor leak at lower radiator hose like always. Check. Hook up timing light and vacuum gauge to start and have a hard time. Seems I am at TDC exactly and so quickly adjust that. She now runs with 14 degrees advance, 900 rpm in idle and 650 rpm in drive without the sense it will die any minute, and has 17mmHg . Last, no vacuum leaks as I always use the cork end pieces myself. Other than a rocker tapping the passenger side valve cover the engine runs well and I am impressed by the Autolite 4100. Smooth fast response and easy to adjust.

Didn't drive the car as it needs new tires. Before new tires I need new wheels for those new tires and then a new exhaust. So a little let down there but at least I know the car runs. Now if I can just get that Polara started after 2 months of trying!

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Congraulations! ALways good when cam swaps are successful!

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
As soon as I took the timing cover off I saw why flames shot out of the carb that first time in 1975. The cam dowel was pointing up instead of down towards the crank.
Turn the crankshaft another revolution.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately I'm only batting .500. While doing the Cougar I was also replacing the timing chain set in the Dodge Polara as the old chain skipped a tooth. While the engine has fuel, has spark and has compression it hasn't started in 2 months of trying. Just tried again 2 hours ago and have pretty much reached the end of the line.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
A no start can be lots of things..Don't give up. Have you confirmed that you did not bend any valves?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha. That's what I thought.

Mopar stuff can be funny. Stay at it and use your head.
Well in 1975 all I did was move the rotor 180 since the front was already sealed up. I assumed I put the distributor in wrong and didn't know different until 2 months ago. I do remember it was quite a substantial flame out the carb venturis as everyone jumped back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts