Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everybody,

Fairly new member here and only had my cougar for alittle over a month but making good progress.

So far ive changed the passenger floorpan and torque box, working on the drivers side. Repaired all the rust on the Passenger quarter, about to start the drivers side, and working on replacing the leaf springs "boy what fun." I am trying not to fully dissasemble car at any point and repair area than put back together. Interior is in very good shape and original. My car is a standard 69 2bbl windsor. with fmx.

Ok now for the questions.

My first thoughts where I want an eliminator clone. Now let me start by saying I care nothing for numbers matching, in fact my car is 100% original down to the single exhaust and full SS package including pinstripe.

But I thought I would leave it as close to matching the Vin as possible while stretching the truth if that makes sense. 408 Stroker with original block, Factory Color, etc.

Now my thoughts on what I wanted was as follows, My car is original Burnt orange metallic, Wich at first I was not sure I liked. I like the 70 eliminator stripes more than the 69 so I was going to go with them. I like the 69 grille better so I am happy with that. Im putting a cruiser console with the brushed aluminum insert, I am going to take my wood grain dash peices out and put brushed vinyl on them to match console. I am also going to get silver thread Cougar floormats to match, my interior is black. spoiler and hoodscoop are going to be black. thinking about Torq Thrust Chrome 17's. I searched the web for Burnt orange metallic cougars and came up with basically nothing.....Until I found copy cat. Now let me start by saying...I love what I see. Now my only concern is Copy Cat seems to be the only Burnt Orange Metallic eliminator around. Although I love his car and I wanted to keep my original color, I dont want to steel his thunder even though I am 1000 miles away. especially concidering I want the 70 decals.

Basically Give me Some idea's of what I can do to differentiate myself. Or if you guys think it will be different enough already. I also have nowhere near the budget to pull off a copycat of copycat as im using most of my stock interior wich happens to be in good shape. most of my money is going into the 408.

How do you guys think my current plan will look? I want to try to have it driveable this summer.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
I wouldn't worry about stealing anybodys thunder, our cars are rare enough as they are. Do what you want, and your budget can handle.
I can't say I have seen that color up close an personal on a Cougar so I have no advice for you there. I will say it might be worth a little more if it's the original color.
Enjoy the rebuild and then enjoy the car!
And in case no one has welcomed you here yet, Welcome to Cougar Mania... :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I made a few post but first official welcome. I by no means intend to pretend my car will be infact an eliminator if someone asks at local shows cruises etc. But my guess is noone in the small town area near st. louis area I am from, will know if I have 70 stripes on a 69 or not, I have never seen another cougar in the area restored. Infact when I say eliminator most of my friends give me the deer in headlight look..."is that like a mach 1 or R/T or something."

·
Registered
152 Posts
I agree with 69XR7ragtop, Cougars are a rare muscle car. The Cougar is the last frontier of the Muscle Car world. All other muscle cars have been "explored" in a sense, but the Cougar remains a mystery to most car shows and cruise ins. As you said, Eliminator or GTE probably confuses most as everyone always knows an SS or 454. Personally, thats why I bought my Cougar. Be innovative and different, strive to concur the Cougar's hardships (like the nonworking hideaway lights, rust ect) and be proud of what you make because you will be the only one with it despite colors, striping, engine size, whatever. MC.net has taught me that Cougar owners always have to think outside the box, whether they want to or not. Good Luck !

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
"Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery."

I don't know who said that. But it's true. I'm pretty sure CopyCat would be flattered to know you thought so much of his cat to want to "borrow" some of his styling ideas. I know I feel that way when people borrow some ideas of mine.

From what I've learned here, Burnt Orange Metallic is a factory 69 color. But it is not one of the more popular colors which makes it rather unique in it's own right. I like it.

My opinion with regard to the spoilers and hood scoop, is to paint them body color. I preach that ALL the time. Nothing looks more "bolt-on' than non-body colored body parts. They'll look way more integrated onto the overall package than leaving them black which, to me, suggests an afterthought.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Just a thought, if you are going to use good pieces to modify you might want to check if a board member or Don would do a 1-for-2 type trade for some pieces with bad woodgrain or what not. That way you both end up getting something out of your good pieces.....They get a good original piece and you get an extra piece to practice or test your modification on. Just something to consider as you work your way through the car.

As far as ideas go, I always think stance and rolling stock change the car the most..... If you want to make your car unique, find a set of rims that you really like other than torq-thrusts. Don't get me wrong, I am running 2002 bullitt rims on mine which are essentially the same and they look great, but they aren't going to set your car apart like the "new hottness" you're likely to find if you browse a bit on tirerack, 1010tires, or ebay. (I always thought some FR500's like the link below would look awesome on a Cougar)

http://www.americanmuscle.com/fr500wheels.html?utm_content=fr500wheels&utm_campaign=FROOG&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
If you want to differentiate yourself, forget the spoiler, stripes, and scoop.
Leave it looking stock and warm the engine over, if you must. Once you drill that decklid and hood, there's no undrilling it.

Get it driveable and then drive it. Enjoy it this coming season and attend some shows, do the local cruise ins, etc. Then come up with a plan you can do over next winter. This way your car isn't in purgatory all through the warm months and you will have plenty of time to get input and solidify what you want.

The number 1 problem that car guys have is modification ADD. Starting with a solid plan is a way to avoid the biggest pitfall there is. Taking the time to make a plan is the best way to have a good one.
Put a pencil to all of this and be realistic. Get to know car guys who build cars locally (not guys who buy already done cars off eBay or pay someone to do the work). Get their opinions on time/cash outlay for what you want. They'll have the most realistic viewpoint.

Right now you're all hot for CopyCat, but that could change tomorrow. Give your ideas time to marinate before you start buying parts and drilling panels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts