Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wheres all the rust killer guru's? (parts sources?)

when i was a teen i had a 67 chevelle that was ruined by leaking window seams, well our new purchase has windows out and a rusty seam. a section about 2" long is pretty cancerous in that 2 inch strip, is there a better easier fix than cutting the whole seam out?

also where to get front seat floor pans & trunk pan inexpensively? surprisingly the back seat floors are perfect.

and last, rear quarters have some pin holes rusted through down low, change or repair?

also what are good places to find the new pans etc?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well I can tell you that front floor plan is probably worse than it seams..... when I got mine I thought man the back floor pans are perfect just gotta change the passenger side no big deal. Until I discovered what a torque box was..... and I would think if that front floor pan is no good the torque box is no good also.

·
Registered
13 Posts
lol, dont let me scare ya to bad... Its just alot more work than just changing the floor pans. the torque box is directly below you toe board. if you look under your car you will see a pan run from your outer rocker, at an angle to the bottom of your floor support/sub frame. This is the bottom portion of your torque box. It then runs up under your toe board and then back down to meet the bottom pan again. hard to explain sorry if it doesnt make sense.

http://ebayimages.westcoastclassiccougarinc.com/69CJsunroof/DSC_1085-1028.jpg

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ah that ruty thing in the pic? ok so whats that mean, i must change that too? is it expensive, and hard? if its rusty should we ditch the sale?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Here is a reply from a outside party. Your answer to the question: is it expensive/hard? In my opinion, yes! Begs the question, are you good at fab/welding? Parts can be gotten, Look at WCCC and see what the parts will run you from them. Others may have them also. How much are you willing to spend on the cougar. sorry do not remember what you were getting-yr, running/not, condition, price. Once you calculate all that, YOUR dream, up to you. There are other cars out there!

Now someone with more experiance than me(and probably a lot more money) will speak up and give you valuable information.

Just my 1/5 of a Dime!

Lloyd

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
wccc is the place to buy ! don runs a cougar only junk yard and does new, nos , and reproduction parts . he can cut you the window seam area you need out of a car

·
Registered
13 Posts
Expensive? No not really about 130 bucks and you can get both high quality boxes, even cheaper available. Hard? Without a lift and proper tools, which falls under my categories kinda yes. It took me about 12 hours to do one side. Granted that was learning alot. One thing I can tell you is its tempting to thinkike me and go in cut off wheel blazing thinking that will be much faster. But looking back, a spot weld cutter may have been a better choice

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
My floors were worse than i thought, really rotten, but all torque were good. Check your toe boards to ensure of good metal in this area. Cut out floor with plasma cutter (cheapo did really well), cleaned up all spot welds and put in full pans on each side. Use the better floor pans, well worth the money. Measure several times and do a lot of trimming to make it right. Take your time and don't weld a continuous bead, by skipping to different areas keeps the metal from warping. If you need torque boxes, now is the time to repair/replace with the floors out. Seat risers were the challenge for me. They are shorter than a mustang and are not reproduced. I was able to save one and had to use a 5lb hammer to modify the mustang one. I used POR15 to seal everything top and bottom, just rough the surface of any new metal. If you are tall or just want more leg room up front, weld the risers back about an inch or two. If I were to do another that needed a full pan, I would consider an entire floor, cost is way more, but you would have a lot less welding. This was my first time installing the floors and it wasn't that difficult. Parts list, floor pans and toe pans, torque boxes, seat risers if needed, replace these if needed, emergency brake hardware, seat attaching hardware, seat belt hardware. Tools recommended, plasma cutter, spot weld cutter(several), sheet metal shears, grinder, cut off tool, vise grips, drill, 5/16 drill bit, mig welder, Time was about 25 hours for the entire job, first time. just pm if you have any questions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts