Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a '69 Eliminator and it is in the body shop. The RH front inner fender and the front core support have been replaced. In a few weeks we're going to be ready for shooting the engine bay black.

First question, where should I stop painting black on the firewall & down the transmission tunnel? The shell had already been media blasted so I don't have a reference point. I don't want to over do it.

Second, is there a particuliar paint that I should use for the engine bay? What is typically recommended??

·
Registered
389 Posts
what body shop is doing it? im in the DFW area and would love to see it sometime....

·
Registered
726 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
If you have the cowl off you should start painting up there and down around into the tunnel. Of course the windshield wiper motor and gear should be removed.

Most automotive paint stores have some form of body black paint. Low gloss, some may say satin black. I used GM body black last time. :)

In the Dallas area I use English Color for paint -- I would ask them what they have for chassis black paint.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I recently purchased a '69 Eliminator and it is in the body shop. The RH front inner fender and the front core support have been replaced. In a few weeks we're going to be ready for shooting the engine bay black.

First question, where should I stop painting black on the firewall & down the transmission tunnel? The shell had already been media blasted so I don't have a reference point. I don't want to over do it.
The where to stop is going to depend on when your Eliminator was built. It appears that the early '69 Eliminators had a body colored cowl, and the late '69 Eliminators had a blacked out cowl.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Harry,
Thanks for the pics. You have a very nice car! I looks as though the black goes up under the cowl area. That's a big help as they plan to paint the engine bay this Saturday.

Can I ask what you used to repaint the hood hinges? Your's look awesome and I'm not sure what to use on these.

Our Eliminator is Comp Orange with white stripe and interior. The body has been torn down to the last nut & bolt. No front suspension, engine grill, body panels etc. It's just the shell. I hope to have the paint and body done by end of Sept and the front suspension rebuilt by October. Bumpers and trim have all been either rechromed or polished. They are ready for reinstall. This is a father/daughter project and my daughter is my biggest fan and helper. She is 14 yo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts