Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where to start?

I have a 68 302-2v that needs some help. It hasn't run in about 2 years, and I finally have time to start working on it again. Where do I start? The battery is dead, so I know that is the first thing I need to replace. The carb is the original and wasn't really working well when the car last ran. Should I have it re-built or go to Autozone and get a new autolite for $99? How hard is it to install a new carb? Any help would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
The fun begins. I would change oil, check tranny fluid, clean and regap plugs, points, check cap, rotor,wires. Get a rebuilt carb, alot easier just to bolt a new one on. Undo the 4 carb nuts, disconnect the fuel filter and vaccuum hose, and bolt on the same with new gasket. Check the PVC valve, get a new fuel filter, asnd gas line if it looks bad. But new battery cables (not worth playing around with old ones). If you have a mechanical gauge, pull coil wire off and crank motor until oil pressure builds, then hook up coil wire and start it. Also check rad fluid, top up if needed. Good luck. Block a wheel incase it lurches, be safe.

Rick

·
Registered
44 Posts
Welcome Aboard !

I'd follow Dark's recomendations to a tee, only I'd just replace the cap and points instead of fooling with the old ones...Good luck with your Cat and as you'll soon learn, these guys are very knowledgable and will not only be an invaluable source of info and advice, but they help motivate you to get the darn thing done...see ya around !...PEACE :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was in a similar situation a year ago. One thing I would add, remove the distributor and use an oil priming device before doing any cranking of the motor. I tend to be a little on the overly-safe side though....

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
one thing i would add is instead of going with a rebuilt auto zone you might want to invest in a edelbrock or holley just my prefrence it isnt all that expensive and i think you will be glad you did. course you will also have to change the intake but a good offenhauser or edelbrock can be had cheap at most swap meats. I always try to make it a policy when something has to be replaced i always go better than stock it takes a while but soon before you know it you have one hot kitty.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Make sure the gas is still good. Should still be after two years, but you never know. If you have the original tank, it should have a drain plug on the bottom, off to one side. Drain it and put some new gas in to be sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts