Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
11,000 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
somewhere in the early 70's , ford made a slightly larger version of the washer tank but with two lids and a divider bulkhead---a combo unit---even if it's not orig , it would solve a bunch of issues
doctordesoto

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Early Cougars did not have overflow or recovery tanks for the cooling system. The overflow hose went down the side of the radiator and dumped on the ground.

For many years there were various aftermarket recovery systems available at parts stores, and many vintage Cougars' owners had them installed. Nowadays some folks use recovery tanks from farious newer model cars. The recovery tank in my Cat came from an early-90's Thunderbird if memory serves.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Kind of funny that it used to just spill out on the ground. Now if you spill some in your lawn you have to call in a hazmat team to clean it up.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Kind of funny that it used to just spill out on the ground. Now if you spill some in your lawn you have to call in a hazmat team to clean it up.
Same thing with oil changes. I remember guys draining used oil onto the gravel driveway all the time. Same with antifreeze. Cleaner guys would drain into a bucket then dump it in the woods. My how times have changed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts