Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been told that Johns Classic Cougars sells a top that is correct in regards to grain and texture and seams but is a little thicker than original. Who has purchased from there? What do you think? Any other vendors that sell concourse quality vinyl tops. Mine looks good cept for one small nick above the windshield on the drivers side. Don't know what the top underneath it looks like? I haven't found any rust anywhere else on the car.

·
Supporting Vendor
1,014 Posts
I have the correct vinyl tops available. They are OEM material, have heat treated seams and are are ready to install. Don't settle for the felt back ones, the vinyl is very thin.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
I just got mine from JCC, but don't know if it's one of those that John Benoit is referencing. It looks good and original, but I wouldn't be able to tell if it's a different thickness.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would you remove the original just cause it is old? My concern is what could be hiding underneath. It feels solid with no bumps or apparent weak spots. no bubbles or nothing. Not as black as it once was and I don't know what to put on it.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Would you remove the original just cause it is old? My concern is what could be hiding underneath. It feels solid with no bumps or apparent weak spots. no bubbles or nothing. Not as black as it once was and I don't know what to put on it.
I say leave it alone... No bumps is a good thing. Finding a car with the original top is like finding one with original carpet and windshield, very rare and desirable to many.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Try a good quality vinyl top cleaner/conditioner....I remember on my car the vinyl top would look brand new after a good cleaning and vinyl top conditioning

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don Rush, Original Carpet is a good thing? If the carpet is solid but just a little faded would you dye it?

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Don Rush, Original Carpet is a good thing? If the carpet is solid but just a little faded would you dye it?
Yes! Even if it is a little frayed. Reach down and rub the palm of your hand on the carpet, notice how it feels kind of like wool? The repro is soft and will not hold up near as well and is prone to fading. You only get original once and the few examples we have are fading fast. Think like a preservationist. Watch antiques Road Show, almost everything they say about old furniture from the 1700's applies to your Cougar now but mark my words, in decades to come it will mean EVERYTHING. If you want to know what the trend will be for our Cougars go hang out at the Shelby forum. Those guys pester us incessantly for thinks like original worn out suspension parts, master cylinders, date coded calipers, used e-brake cables and the like. NEVER throw away your original parts!

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Harvey,

"Aerospace 303" is wonderful stuff on a Vinyl top. Many coats, let it soak in..if your vinyl hasn't had any moisture/contitioner added to it for years, it'll really soak it up. Wipe it around, let it sit, wipe off excess and then do it again. More is better. I was amazed how my black top on the '67 GT came out.

And I concur, the more original stuff you have on/in your car, the cooler it is :) It might end up saving you time and $ too. Bonus!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brian where can I find areospace 303?

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
You may want to try this out too.

This company has been in buisness since 1932 http://www.stylesmfg.com/products.html They have a vinyl top coating called PERMO-GLO. It's made with pure vinyl. It takes about 3 ounces to do a 67-68 Cougar vinyl roof. They call it Permanent protection. One application lasts for years. I've only used it 2 times in ten years. It can also be used on convertible tops, vinyl seats,trim etc. It has kept my top looking new with a slight sheen. When applied it dries dust free in fifteen minutes. It doesn't crack or peel or stain your windows when it rains. It's the only product I've found like it.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts