Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gents,

New owner of a 67 Cougar 289 here.

Been lurking and reading all the good stuff on here.

I've been going through all the usual routine maintenance but have an issue with my trunk lid bouncing around when driving.

I purchased the 2 piece kit from NPD figuring it would be an easy fix but feel like an idiot for not being able to figure out where they go.

I can't seem to locate the holes these are supposed to pop into.

Don't know if the PO sealed them shut but it does have the trunk lid weatherstripping installed but that is not preventing.

Any help or a picture of where they belong would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

·
Premium Member
13,578 Posts
Hi Joe,

Welcome to the forum.

If 67's are like 69/70 (and I am pretty sure they are), there are no bumpers. NPD is selling a mustang part as fitting Cougar's when they actually are not used on them (How do I know? I bought them too!). The weatherstripping is all there is on a Cougar.

Regards,

Robert

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL! That makes total sense as to why I couldn't find where they go.

I guess I'll fab something up.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the assurance I wasn't nuts!

·
Super Moderator
11,006 Posts
On a '67 Cougar they go in the same place as '67 Mustang. There is a round pad dimpled in each rear corner of the trunk inner sheet metal stamping. For 1967 there is a hole drilled in the center of this round pad, I believe it is #1 AWG drill size.

The same trunk stamping was used in 1968. The bumpers were eliminated to save cost in '68. The '67 version aligns better due to having the bumpers.

Hi Gents,

New owner of a 67 Cougar 289 here.

Been lurking and reading all the good stuff on here.

I've been going through all the usual routine maintenance but have an issue with my trunk lid bouncing around when driving.

I purchased the 2 piece kit from NPD figuring it would be an easy fix but feel like an idiot for not being able to figure out where they go.

I can't seem to locate the holes these are supposed to pop into.

Don't know if the PO sealed them shut but it does have the trunk lid weatherstripping installed but that is not preventing.

Any help or a picture of where they belong would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shoot, so a bumper goes in each rear corner of the trunk?

Do you have a picture you might be able to provide?

I searched cougar trunk lid and have looked a as many google images as I could find but none of them showed a trunk bumper installed.

I'm pretty handy and can repair most things myself so I can't believe I can't figure this out!

Thanks for your reply.

·
Premium Member
13,578 Posts
Thanks for clearing this up Royce, guess my frame of reference did not serve well in this instance!

·
Super Moderator
11,006 Posts
I lifted this picture from the WCCC catalog. It shows a 1967 trunk lid upside down with the broken off remains of the rotten original bumpers.

Shoot, so a bumper goes in each rear corner of the trunk?

Do you have a picture you might be able to provide?

I searched cougar trunk lid and have looked a as many google images as I could find but none of them showed a trunk bumper installed.

I'm pretty handy and can repair most things myself so I can't believe I can't figure this out!

Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh man, you're the best!

I swear there weren't holes in those spots in my trunk but I'll check again when I get home and let you guys know.

Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
11,006 Posts
If you have a '68 trunk lid you will have to drill the holes.

oh man, you're the best!

I swear there weren't holes in those spots in my trunk but I'll check again when I get home and let you guys know.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
207 Posts
My 68 has them and they appear to be original too. :confused:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yup, no holes so I had to drill them. Hate doing that but better than the trunk bouncing around.

Those things are a real pain to get into those tiny holes. The trunk is more secure now.

Thanks Royce for the picture. I wouldn't have drilled those holes without it.

·
Super Moderator
11,006 Posts
Your car acquired a 1967 trunk lid over the past 49 years. Or perhaps some previous owner installed them to make the trunk lid fit better.

My 68 has them and they appear to be original too. :confused:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts