Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a daily driver 73 Cougar XR7 convertible. I would like to begin the restoration process to bring it back to as close to original condition as I can. Where do I start?

I started on the interior already, reupholstering the seats and I've redone the trunk. I kind of feel like I am jumping around doing this with no set plan. I've bought a couple of books on restoring older cars. I consider myself handy (lots of things around the house, small engines, small modifications on cars, etc.) and feel i can do most of the work myself if I take my time. But where do I start? Thanks

·
Registered
379 Posts
funtion first and make sure when you do start the next round , you make sure you deal with other things while you are down there so that you dont have to take things apart that you have already worked on when trying to attack the next one. This was my mistake it doubles the work load (My lack of patience)

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
I always figured you start with the body and work out from there.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Depends on whether you plan on taking the car out of service or if you're trying to do bits and pieces while leaving the car driveable. It also depends on just how far you plan on going. You would take a totally different approach to a total ground up restoration than you would if you were just refreshing a few parts of the car. Provide us with some more details on your vision and we can more easily steer you in the right direction.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL. It's a cougar not a deer.

I have her off the road right now. But am toying with the idea of putting her back on the road and doing some work as i go. I was supposed to have her inspected in August, and didn't. I believe the suspension needs some work, a mechanic told me that but I have had other issues with him that makes me question his honesty now.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I always believed you should get the body in shape first then the drivetrain and wiring then the interior.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts